Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Middlesex
City
HARROW
I'm sorry to be posting this but I'd hugely appreciate your insights.

I'm a 47 year old man. My first issues was noticing my watch falling off my left arm, which provoked me to notice decreased muscle mass in both forearms.

This has been followed by very noticeable loss of muscle mass in both legs - thinner thighs and calves. I have two incidences where i have had bad muscle spasms/ trapped nerves in firstly my neck and now my lower back.

In the two weeks since doing my back I've noticed twitching in both calves. My left calf in particular, and occasionally in my thighs. My left calf is smaller than my right and feels heavier. I can continue to walk, do calf raises and walk on my heels etc

The reason here im here is i'm stupidly putting atrophy together with the twitching. I'm sorry as I know this will likely be annoying but I can't get it out of my head.

Hey, Archibald. It looks like you've got a real good handle on your situation. You know your limbs are getting narrower but they all still work.
Also, you've got a couple of pinched nerves. That hurts.
(I wonder if you are losing water weight?)
Forget the twitching. Twitching is so common in so many conditions that it is not diagnostic of any condition. People twitch for lots of reasons.

I don't see any reason to be worrying about ALS. I don't know what's going on with your body, but I see no reason to think of ALS.

See your primary medical doctor and see if you can't get some answers there. Good luck to you.

Very noticeable loss of muscle mass with no loss of function points to something else, maybe a couple of things that are helping each other along. As Mike says, see your PCP and I would expect you to be reassured as to MND. Perhaps the PCP might recommend physiotherapy.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both for your replies. Very sincerely appreciated and my very best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back