Diagnosis
10/2018
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
City
Providence
Am renovating bathroom to accommodate toileting for female ALS sister's needs. This includes a new toilet. Looking for product recommendations. Want the best so as not to have to upgrade. Any experience to guide my choices would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

PS: new to this site and forum option. Hope this is the way asking for advice is done. Thank you!

A sad welcome, Providence. I moved your post to this part of the forums so more people would see it. You will probably most often want to post here and in the caregivers' (CALS) forums.

In addition to responses you will get there, if you search on "bidet," using the Search link near the top right, you will see past recommendations. You will also want to look at past advice on renovating a bathroom. I have no insights for you myself because we were renters, except for a reminder that transfers to/from a shower chair or Hoyer lift or wheelchair don't have to happen in the bathroom, but if your sister is being rolled over a threshold, you will want the transition to be as smooth as possible.

Ask away, about anything you need.

Best,
Laurie

I love my BioBidet toilet seat. The first thing I did when I moved to the new condo was to buy all high toilets (my friends appreciate it as some of them are disabled and elderly.) Then I got a grant from our local ALSA chapter for $500 for the BioBidet toilet seat. I believe it cost around $600 but so worth it. It cleans very well and no more need for toilet paper. It has so many settings and a remote. One setting is useful if your PALS deals with constipation and that is the enema setting. It is a strong stream that stimulates a bowel movement. The seat fits on about 90% of all toilets. I had an anal fissure and they were sure I'd have to get surgery. I think the bidet helped heal it. The seat is heated and the water is warm with settings for warmer or cooler.

You will need an outlet near the toilet.

I went to my brother's house last week and forgot he had a short toilet. I came down pretty hard! The taller height does make a difference.

Costco has a great sale on the Biobidet - (Bio Bidet USPA 6800 Luxury Bidet) . I do not own one but wanted to share since someone mentioned this manufacturer...regularly 399.00 on sale $229.99

Sassy

Just make sure the model and brand you get fits your needs. I think if you google bidet toilet seat reviews, you can compare features. That's what I did in 2016.

We have a Toto Washlet. It's amazing, such a huge help, and the only thing saving me from having other's wipe my bum. In a similar discussion on FB someone said they reached out to the company, explained their situation with ALS, and the company gave them a top of the line model for free. We bought ours and could only afford a lower mid level seat version (I still think it's perfect!), because I had no idea they were so generous until I heard this person's story. but anyway worth contacting them for sure!

Even if you install a tall toilet, your PALS may have a need for a toilet seat riser with handles. If this is the case, your bidet may not spray properly because of the portion of the riser that is inserted down into the bowl.

On the less expensive side of things, for my PALS, I added the Zen Bidet Z-300 toilet seat bidet to our Kohler toilet bowl for less than $50 and it works just fine with the riser.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Riser.PNG
    Riser.PNG
    109.6 KB · Views: 121
  • bidet.PNG
    bidet.PNG
    357.9 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back