Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Moreno Valley
Hello everyone, in a 38 year old male. I worked out 3 - 4 times a week until the onset of fasiculations, which started 2 1/2 months ago. Since then, my time has been spent between doctor visits and a constant anxiety and worry. I try to workout, but it's down to maybe once a week because of the lack of energy. I've outlined a timeline of my symptoms below. I'd like to get the opinion of the group members on my symptoms. If you take the time to read this and respond, I truly appreciate it.

-6 - 7 months ago started to see a slow but progressive decline in muscle mass, and a decline in overall strength and endurance during workouts. I thought it was stress related. Also started to experience generalized fatigue

-Fasciculations started 2 1/2 months ago. Bodywide fasciculations, tremors, buzzing sensations in muscles. Primarily in legs, but widespread throughout body, including head and neck.

-MRI normal
-All Lab work normal.
-Saw two different neurologists two weeks ago. One doctor performed clinical exam and said I had BFS, but scheduled an EMG test, (this was upon my request) which is scheduled this Friday. The other doctor didn't do any exam, but also said I had BFS, and asked me to come back at the end of this month for an EMG.

Feeling a lot of soreness in my quad muscles and noticing that my arms and legs, especially my quads, are starting to thin out a lot. Quad muscles look very thin when I extend my legs out while sitting down on edge of seat. If I try doing squats, without weights, my thighs remain sore for days. The Dr. said it may be from not working out as much as before.

I've lost 10 pounds of weight during this whole period. I'm 6, 1 and 185 lbs. I was 195 lbs

I can still perform all normal physical activities, but I tire out quicker than before, especially my legs.

I'm ot sure if i'm just being paranoid. I'm very nervous about the EMG test.

You’ve described feeling a general loss of strength, fatigue, fasciculations, and some sensory symptoms.

Scary as that may seem, it’s not consistent with ALS. The hallmark of ALS is muscle function failure, which you have not described. The clean clinical exam by the neurologist is also very reassuring.

ALS generally starts with new inability to perform a certain task such as standing on toes or heals or fastening a button. There is no sense of weakness, the muscles just don’t work because they don’t get the signal from the brain to contract.

So I expect your EMG will be clean and completely clear you of ALS. As far as what could be going on, BFS is a consideration, but work with your doctors. Also make sure they rule out thyroid disease and Low Vitamin D. Other conditions such as diabetes and low testosterone can also cause generalized feelings of weakness. So a good general physical with lab tests is important.

Hello Karen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my questions. I do appreciate it. Your response is very comforting to hear, and it helps reduce some of the worry I'm experiencing.

I've had extensive lab work done to rule out a lot of other things, including my thyroids. All results have been normal so far with the exception of my vitamin D level as you allude to, which was borderline. Not enough for my doctor to be concerned.

So just to get further clarification, in the case of ALS, does muscle atrophy usually come before or after the loss of a motor and muscle function (eg. Standing on toes, fastening buttons)?

I guess my worry is that I would in the early stages of developing any loss of muscle function. Would I have experienced that by now within my current timeline?

The gradual loss of muscle mass across my body, especially in my legs, along with the pain I get on my legs is what worries me the most. Occasionally I'll also feel pins and needles on my left foot, and occasional pain on the same foot that radiates above my ankle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back