00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Western
Hello,

I have not posted in a very long time. I have had muscle twitching since January 2016 and have experienced a lot of fear about my symptoms being ALS. My twitching is not bodywide and the twitches are very strong, larger twitches than they used to be.

My biggest concern is that I have a lot of pain in my left hand, a cramping sort of pain, and I have been worried about that hand since this all started and it seems to have a lot less bulk than my right hand and I am worried that some spots might be atrophy. I have had visible twitching in that hand. I can still use my hand fine, but it hurts all of the time and is very cramped when I wake up in the morning. The only weakness I can explain is when I try to lift something awkwardly heavy, like a heavy box or a couch or something. I just can't grasp it well and have a hard time lifting things like that up from the ground in a way I can't remember before. I also have very shaky muscles - if I were to do a plank or something say I just shake uncontrollably...this is in all of my muscles. I am not strong enough to hold positions, even if it were simple yoga or something. This has been happening for the past couple of years but seems worse now. At the same time, I can still play ice hockey and go for runs, but when I need the focused strength I just don't seem to have it. My muscles also seem to have rigidity, literally all muscles, they have that cogwheel motion, not fluid.

So, I am finding myself very concerned again and am worried that this has progressed over time. What else could cause all of this? I am seeing a neurologist in March, couldn't get in sooner.

Thanks!

Anne

Three years of symptoms and worrying about ALS, and here you are again. You still don’t describe anything resembling muscle function failure. You saw a neurologist for EMGs in 2016 and I assume you were cleared of ALS back then, though you did not share your EMG results with us then.

Look, it’s time for you to stop obsessing about a disease you don’t have. Three years of symptoms and you can still play ice hockey and go for runs. Those of us who do have ALS are either dead at three years or severely disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back