Reason
Other
Country
BR
State
SP
City
Sao Paulo
Hi everyone! First I wanted to say a huge thank you for these forums and the time you put up with a lot of people with symptoms that are in need of help.

That said, now to my condition:

My name is Felipe I'm a 30 M who lives in Brazil.

I've started with a fasciculation outbreak on my whole body in Aug 2018, it started in the bottom of my feet but rapidly went widespread to my whole body, including eyelids, hands, calves, chest muscles and whatnot.

Obviously googling it brings over 90% benign things but there's always ALS in some weird corner of the pages that scare the crap out of us and unfortunately that's exactly where my mind decided to go to.

I outright booked a neurologist which by the way is the head of neurosurgery on a very famous hospital where I live and had already treated my father for facial paralysis to see what was up after those fasciculations were with me for more than 15 days.

Went there explained to him the symptom I had he took blood pressure, asked me to show him hands, legs and then proceeded to get the little reflex hammer and hammer away and test for sensitivity too. The result were normal reflexes and etc. To help with diagnosis he also requested an EMG and a MRI

Had the EMG like a week after with another neurologist he appointed to do the exam, the doctor did it and she said she could notice how nervous I was but my emg was completely clean (even of fasciculations, because believe it or not I had none during the exam) and she said it would potentially be BFS.

Did the MRI which also showed no problem whatsoever, went back to the doctor and he said I had nothing but extreme ansiety and they I should exercise since I'm a very sedentary person (I'm an IT project manager so I spend most of my time sat down in front of a PC).

I believed him and walked out of there very relieved, that was until a week ago, when my right thumb started to act weird for a lack of better word.

Whenever I did something that needed strength from my thumb such as opening a pickle jar or a bottle right after I would finish the action my finger would get a tremor for a second and then stop and go back to normal again. This is worst on some days such as today but some days it's not so bad like yesterday for example, when it only happened twice. In the bad days such as today I sometimes feel what I think is my nerve burn from the thumb till near my shoulder, it hurts quite a bit.

Needless to say all the bad thoughts about als came back and I booked another neuro appointment for next Wednesday but once again I'm really scared of what might be up.

My emg and MRI were done as I said mid Aug to early Sep so around 5 months ago. I wonder if those are still good? I mean in your experience can things have gone downhill in this amount of time or am I just scared for nothing and anything serious would have been captured at least in an early stage 5 months ago?

Really appreciate any answer and once again thanks for your time and help

Any kind soul who could help me with the EMG "expiry date" and if my symptoms are any kind of flag?

Thanks again for all your help on these forumns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back