Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sacramento
Hello everyone,
First of all I want to say that I really appreciate your help. My name is Sina, I am 26 years old, male. About a month ago, I started noticing weakness (not clinical) in my left leg. It really didn't bother me much until a week later I started getting twitches all over my body. My back, my thighs, my calves, even my eyes and face. The weakness hasn't changed really. I still can walk, run and climb stairs. But I started reading internet and it got me very worried. I still have a lot of twitches, they are everywhere but mostly in my thighs, legs, and shins. I went to see my PCP and he said everything looks normal to him. But I insisted to see a neurologist. So I went to see a neurologist and he told me everything looks good, my muscles look healthy and my reflexes are great. Since I have health anxiety, I insisted on getting an EMG. The test will be next week. Also, I don't have any history of family ALS.

Should I be worried? should I even do the EMG?

Thank you very much

Please read here:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html It outlines the forum position on symptoms and what they can mean. Read it thoroughly to the very end to reassure yourself.

A doctor and a neurologist has cleared you. You are still insisting you get an emg because you can't be reassured by that. You are asking strangers on the internet who don't know your health history and can not examine you and are also admitting to Health Anxiety. You have twitches and a feeling of weakness in your leg, not ALS. Work with your doctor to figure out what it is, but you know ALS is not the issue.

In addition to what Fiona wrote if you decide you do want an emg which it sounds like you do not need be aware of a few things.

People with health anxiety are frequently not reassured by an emg They decide it was “ too early” not done in the right places or not done correctly. None of those things are realistic - but health anxiety tells them that.

Another fairly common event is an abnormal emg- not showing ALS- but common non specific little glitches that are often seen in healthy people.

If you have an emg prepare yourself to believe when you are told no ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back