Reason
Other
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi everyone, I’m here looking for some advice I’m hoping you can help me please. Here’s my story:-

July 2016 - I had my baby boy by c-section, when they did my spinal I had a pain shoot down my right leg. Once he was here I had bad cramping and spasms in that leg this was continuous until about a year ago with this came really bad anxiety also I was having coughing fits in my sleep and felt like I couldn’t yawn or burp properly.

Fast forward to last September I started having really bad headaches and dizziness. I was sent for an MRI which came back normal, at the same time this was happening I started having swallowing issues and really bad chest and upper back and neck pain and breathing problems (which I still have) I was sent for an endoscopy which was normal and told that it was anxiety causing my symptoms, (I’ve also had tingling, numbness and burning sensations in my arms and legs)

the Dr put me on Mirtrazapine and sent me on my way. I started having breathing problems at night and wasn’t sleeping at all lost about 1 stone in weight, I was sent for a chest X Ray which also came back normal, all my bloods have been done many times and come back normal.

2018- I have had another endoscopy as I’m still having swallowing issues this time they said I have an incompetent cardiac and I was also sent for a barium swallow which was normal. Now I’m still having all those symptoms but also now my legs and arms and neck are really weak picking up my children’s is hard work my legs are also spasming all day and night long my hands hurt and my tongue feels like it’s cramping.

Obviously I have googled my symptoms and this is what brings me here I’m so scared that I have ALS I’m beside myself with worry. I’m seeing my neurologist Tuesday and hoping to get some answers as I’ve been feeling ill for so long and everything else seems to be coming back fine. Please can someone help me thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah, I don't see ALS in this but would ask the neuro about a sleep study and a referral for lung function tests. Those could help narrow the field of possible explanations, but I doubt any one thing can explain everything you wrote. Also not sure what "incompetent cardiac" on an endo means.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for your quick response. Sorry it’s meant to say incompetent cardia it means my muscle opening to my stomach is weak so the food isn’t going down properly.

Thank Sarah

Laurie,!

Can I just ask so if this was bulbar onset would I have a lot more symptoms by now? If my swallowing issues have been going on a year?

Thanks Sarah

Most likely, yes. If your cardia function is abnormal, but the barium swallow was normal, I would ask about an empiric trial of a PPI that might help your symptoms.

Hi Laurie, I had my appointment with the neurologist, he did a complete examination and said be doesn’t think I have ALS as I show no signs of this from the examination, he’s put me forward for an EMG due to the twitching In my legs and also some physiotherapy for my chest shoulder neck and back pain. I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to reply to me. Thanks again Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back