What did everyone do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Connie. We are sad, too. This is an awful disease but people around here help and support each other and even finds ways to laugh once and awhile.

Glad you joined us. Cindy

AMEN! I love this place and it makes me feel like I am not the only person that feels so frustrated sometimes and has to deal with the mood swings my PALS puts me through!

Railroad Engineer still working

Remsenburg

Hi Donna,

I was ii printing most of my life, now I am a salesman for kitchen cabinets, I hope tp work until the good Lord takes me. One of the doctors that I see ,knows two other people in the printing indus with ALS .

Hello

My husband is painting contractor....

Little old but interesting, worth adding to.

US ARMY 1990-1998, 2002-2004 served in USA, Germany, Pamana, Kuwait, Iraq
1998-2002 College Student
Grandfather was a Cottan Mill forman.

I spent 20 years in the navy as a cryptologist (okay, 3 of the 20 were on recruiting duty in southern Illinois). I served in Spain, Panama, Scotland, and Florida. Served on 5 aircraft carriers, 3 cruisers and 2 destroyers on temporary duty and 1 additional destroyer for a full tour (during the first Gulf war.

Retired from active duty June, 1996 and started a piano tuning business part-time. It eventually became full-time and I've been honored to tune for big guys coming through Springfield. (Doc Severinson, Lou Rawls, B.B. King, Arlo Guthrie, and some world class classical folk.)

I'm not tuning at the theatre anymore but am still at one of the universities here and all of the public high schools, middle schools and elementaries.

I tried selling life insurance for a while but it was no where the fun of piano tuning.

Zaphoon

IT Network aministrator

I haven't been Dx yet, but I have been a Ceritfied Occupational Therapy assistant(COTA/L) for 10 years working with all sorts of physical disabilities.
I have often wondered if I caught something really strange from one (some) of the patients I treat with communicable diseases.
Sounds weird, but I guess we all wonder.

Before College I held various jobs from grocery stores to greenhouses.

Cindy

Mom's diagnosis

Hi Donna
I am new to this as my Mom was diagnosed last Wednesday.What is weird is there is no history in our family but she just took care of her Stepson how had Als to the very end and also her best friend. Could this disease be contagious? EhaHiQUOTE=DonnaJ;37892]Hello all,

I was just curious what everyone did or does for a living that are diagnosed with ALS.

I know they don't know what causes ALS, but my husband was a Class A Machinist and 2 years after he was diagnosed another guy that worked 25-feet from him in the same shop got diagnosed with ALS as well. Talk about the men in the shop getting a little nervous about what they were being exposed to. Unfortunately, my husbands friend and co-worker only lived about 3 years. Whereas, my husband is still fighting it to date, 8 years later. We have always been blown away that two men out of the same machine shop got ALS. I know that the military is diagnosing the military personnel with ALS as well.

It's funny how after all these years I'm still looking, hoping, searching for some kind of reason.......that maybe just maybe I'll find an answer.

Anyway if you would like to share with me what your occupation was I would appreciate it.

Donna-WV[/QUOTE]

Flight attendant ~ and before that artist.... worked mostly in oils,... additionally I did decorative arts such as stained glass (copper foil - not lead came, but both of course use solder)... owned and operated an art gallery for a while and also wrote a book,.. (and gave some memorable parties, but that was not an occupation, could be considered an accomplishment though LOL)... as far as its tie to what is wrong with me now, I vacillate between the stress on my body with the jet lag, and chemical exposure as an artist. Mostly thinking I just got the short straw. Who knows!

My Dad

He was an electrician for 43 years and an avid gardener and golfer. His symptoms began when he was taking Lipitor, a statin inhibitor. He didn't even have high cholesterol. The doctor who prescribed it said it was a preventative measure. I think all those things combined are what caused it.

What was I?

I was a jet pilot, astronaut, Marine sniper, Classical guitarist, actor, dancer, millionaire, billionaire, single, married, and that was just my dreams from the past year. Oh yeah, a stand up comic. Get it? Stand up out of the wheel chair. :lol::lol::lol:
shakyCat.gif

Last edited:
I worked for the DuPont Company for 35 years until they closed the plant in 98' Worked with a lot of chemicals such as formaldahyde. Then from 2000 until 07' I worked in the distribution industry. Have been on disability since July, 07'. If I had to take one guess as to what caused my ALS it would be "statins". In April 01'was diagnosed'ed with diabetes and at the same time was found to have high cholesterol and was put on a "statin medicene. In August of 01' I started experiencing symptoms. Little did I know what lay ahead.
Gordon

No one really believed my post did they?
I was a fireman, and then safety engineer with major oil company. Spent several years as a oil well drilling rig supervisor. Last job was the oil spill cleanup in Valdez Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back