View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 07:35 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Uxpatch
State: ON
Interest: My wife lost her battle with ALS in 2001
TBear is an unknown quantity at this point
City: Uxpatch
State: ON
Interest: My wife lost her battle with ALS in 2001
TBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys:
Glad that we're all on top of this! Kim (I am assuming Kim is Tim's helper), the whole concept of stem cell usage is indeed a contentious one. One that our Federal Government has dealt with. If you check back issues of the Canadian ALS publication you'll find that a bill was passed in the Legislature last year that allowed for the use of embryonic stem cells in medical research... it was/is awaiting Senate approval. I remember this as there was a big push and letter writing campaign to try to convince MPs who were against the bill to support it. I wrote several as did my family.

The dilema it seems is in the moral court of the researchers. As a catholic and an ALS advocate I can understand both sides of the issue (at least I hope I can!). As a scientist I also believe that, while money and the phamaceutical companies may drive and direct some of the research, if sufficient evidence existed to support the existence of a cure for ALS, it would be morally and ethically investigated by someone, somewhere.

While we believe that the big drug companies may not have the drive to patent natural remedies I know that they have been successful in aiming at specific genetic material... how obscure is that? If this is the case I believe then that they would also not have a problem at patenting naturopathic solutions to the problem.

Dan, you seem to know a lot about this stuff or have read a lot about it. If it's working for you... fill your boots! Thanks for the infomation and I'm glad that you've documented what you've done. It's a very responsible thing to do in the process. I still stand by what I've said before... if you don't know what it is and can't find out what it does... you probably don't want to stick it in your mouth... then again who knows what 's in wine?

Don't work too hard Carol... Al, I hope you are loosening up and Fish... if you're out there on the deck and had too much wine, have your daughter drop us a line sometime... I promise not to gross her out.
T