Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Bedfordshire
City
Luton
I started feeling a lot of weakness this past weekend which sent me off into panic quite a lot. I've never had anything like this before and it's terrifying. It's getting to the point where rubbing soap on my hands feels like lifting weights at the gym, and doing something as simple as a "thumbs up" gesture stretches my hand to the point where it hurts. Also if I hold anything, my hand shakes so much it feels like I'm going to drop the object. Your advice is appreciated, I'm so worried this might be an early sign.

This can all be anything and nothing. See your GP and you will soon have an idea which. I very much doubt MND is in the picture.

Best,
Laurie

Please read the Sticky at the top of this forum titled Read Before Posting. The answers are there. I have had ALS for four years and I FEEL fine. I feel no weakness. I just have muscles that DO NOT contract. The best way to describe it is foot drop. When I walk, everything feels normal. The muscle that allows for a smooth transition from heel strike to foot flat does not contract because the nerve that makes that muscle ( tibialis anterior ) has died. The muscle is fine, but because of the damage to that motor neuron it doesn't contract, the muscle atrophies from lack of use and withers away. But everything feels fine. I don't feel weak, that muscle just doesn't work. Start with your GP, and remember, not everybody with a cough has stage 4 lung cancer.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back