Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I had the home visit portion of the wheelchair evaluation process. Got to try the chair outside as well. Spent 15 minutes trying it out outside. It was great, but by the end I had a sweaty back and butt. Are there any tricks or tips for minimizing sweating from the chair?

What kind of cushion and back did you try?

The default "leather" [sic] for seats and backs is cheap vinyl, which retains heat/moisture. I hope you are getting a ROHO cushion, for which the default cover is pretty good if you keep it washed (an extra can be a good thing).

We were fortunate enough to have a ROHO back cushion, which they don't make any more. There are ROHO backs, that others may have and comment on the cover of. Like any other activity, your top plays a role -- were you wearing thick cotton, for example? Multiple layers? It is best to layer when needed like with a poncho on top, and good bottom layers are usually thinner. Air circulation is important, as is positioning so you are in rather than on the cushion and back.

We bought a real sheepskin car seat cover, cut off the seat portion, and it fit very nicely pulled over the back of the wheelchair. That and the ROHO seat cushion with its cover worked well for my husband. Plus, he always wore breathable materials, top and bottom.

The back and cushion were both some kind of air thing where he pumped air into it. The back had supports on my sides to help my body not sway to one side. It was comfortable but I got a little sweaty where I pressed against it. Worth noting that it was like 85 degrees out and I was wearing a black cotton t shirt.

Yeah, in 85 degrees, I'd switch to something a bit cooler. The air cells you describe are likely ROHO or its nearest competitor, Vicair.

As Kate says, real sheepskin is nice if within your reach. If not, the covers that facilitate circulation help -- if they were trying to set the pressure, they may have taken the cushion out of that cover, which would be sweaty.

Mt PALS uses a 'mesh lumbar support' she found on Amazon. It provides plenty of air circulation and slips on over the PWC back cushion.

Mesh is a good thought. Just be careful that your clothes don't interact with it in such as a way as to create pressure injuries. It's always wise to monitor your skin when wearing new stuff/leaning against/sitting on new surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back