Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
My wife (PALS) and I are concerned that I as primary CALS although in good health may have a Medical or other emergency where I I cannot contact anyone. My wife does use her iPhone but is unable to speak clearly.

I suspect there are iPhone Apps or necklace gadgets that can be set up to do this with just an iPhone action.

Would appreciate any advice provided.

Ernie

What iphone/ ios does she have ? If newish and if she can press and hold the side button it calls 911 in ten seconds and will back up with texts to emergency contacts you enter. Also contact your local emergency services so they can flag your numbers and location so the operator will see that she is speech impaired not drunk or pranking

Also, register with Smart 911 so they know both your conditions if a call is received. I believe someone previously posted that 911 has a text interface as well if you ask in advance.

If she cannot hold the button for that long, there are many apps on the app store that are more of a one-tap, and/or you could save an open text window with a pre-populated message to family/friends/911 to the home screen?

Laurie/Nikki

Great info and advice.

Sibyl has an IPhone.

Will contact local 911 and find out what can be done.

Thanks

Ernie

Registered as Smart 911 member but unfortunately our local rescue squad does not participate.

They do allow special instructions/conditions to be placed in a "premise" blog associated with a phone number or address. I prepared a premise for us and emailed to the rescue organization.

This will be available to responders if an emergency occurs. It contains info about speech impediment, cautions about oxygen and using the Trilogy if needed, muscle skeletal issues, hospital preference, etc.

They also respond to text messages which is great for Sibyl since she cannot speak clearly.

Will be pushing rescue leadership about affiliating with Smart 911.

Please contact your local ALS chapter. My husband has ALS and is unable to use his arms/hands. Through our local chapter, we were able to get our house set up to be voice command connected. Best Buy even came out and installed the equipment! Now I don't have to worry so much as I know help will be available when I am at work!

We need a phone app that when activated will text 911 with prearranged text giving location (home address) and special conditions (I am unable to communicate verbally) and allow entry of emergency particulars ( my husband fell and is unconscious).

Our 911 allows texting but does not identify who is calling or location. My wife just tested a text to 911 and were surprised to learn they could not locate our names and address in their online data bases. We had previously emailed these particulars to them and they entered the data into their data bases with our understanding that it would be available if we called.

Oops! Just reread Laurie's post that indicates that there are apps already out there that do just what I asked in the last post.

I looked but could only find games at the App Store.

Can anyone give me a name of these apps?

The simplest way to go would be the procedure Nikki described to make use of the SOS function built into the OS.

If that isn't possible, as on an older model, there is another procedure for a locked phone:
"...swipe right on the Lock screen. Tap Emergency and use the dial pad to call 911."

If that won't work, either, one app to look at would be ICE Contact. It would require an intermediary to call 911 but that's not necessarily a bad thing as communication of all the details might be easier.

There is a search bar up top in the App Store.

But she could also hit the text icon on the home screen and reply to a preset "conversation" with all your ICE contacts, that you named something special.

Thanks all;

The positive side of all this discussion is that Sibyl can contact 911 by texting. The scary part is that the dispatcher cannot identify the caller's location by just receiving a text. The text content must also contain the address.

Quite a surprise to me. Others that I talk to are also surprised and concerned. Some simply refuse to believe this situation exists.

As a computer programmer it is easy to visualize the code necessary to fix this problem.

We will be setting up ICE contacts as suggested and continue to look for other solutions.

Ernie

Ernie, please share these other solutions when you find them.

Ernie,

Would an old fashion landline with speed dial solve the problem? They would at least know your location and I think they come even if the person doesn't talk. Kate

Kate;

"Land line". What a novel idea. Do they still install and service land lines?

It certainly worth pursing.

I'm still researching IPhone solutions. The "Reply with Message" looked good until I discovered it only works when replying to a message. Duh!

Got to be something out there.

Our local civic organization and their most vociferous members have picked up the issue of Smart 911 and have already contacted 3 of our county supervisors. My experience, however, is that these folks tend to irritate rather mitigate problems.

Massachusetts has something that everywhere should have. Maybe you can get someone to advocate. If you dial 911 from cell or land if you can’t speak for any reason you can press 1,2 or 3 to indicate what emergency service you need. This is helpful for able bodied people too. For example here a young woman for home and her house was invaded. She hid and used this to get the police who came and arrested the criminals. I used to have the code taped to my cordless phone. It has been around since the 90s

Kate is right they should send services if you call and they can see your location but don’t/ can’t speak. I just moved into a new building and there are phone outlets so they must still do landlines!

I have a Tobin Dynavox and I have all the emergency messages I might need recorded on it so if I need help I can get it. My first message is that I cannot speak so all the messages you hear are from a electronic device That I may have to type into so my response may be slow. All my pretyped messages just need to be touched to activate, it works well, I dial 911 on any phone and I can communicate.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back