Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Can anyone recommend books that offer perspective, support, and peaceful contemplation for people in our situation? Something that might help me reconcile emotions and fears and gain more peace with myself? But please, NOT a religious oriented book. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

I found 'Being Mortal' by Atul Gawande a good read for what is to come for all of us.

Dave

We listened to a very good book by Gian Domenico Borasio (a palliative care doctor) which is called "Über das Sterben" ("About dying"), I don't think it's translated into English. Probably because it relates very much to conditions in Germany. But I found a TED talk with him. Search for "It's not about dying | Gian Domenico Borasio | TEDxCHUV".
Not sure if that's the direction you're searching for. He's far from religious. He knows that the personality and beliefs of every person matter.

I have read two memoirs: "When Breath Becomes Air" and "The Bright Hour".

I also viewed some videos on YouTube produced by the Nour Foundation on death and dying.

I am not particularly religious but most helpful for me was viewing YouTube videos of Ajahn Brahm from the Budhist Society Western Australian. His message of acceptance has been really helpful in helping me find some peace of mind.

Find a copy of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, by Sogyal Rinpoche. While it is about Tibetan Buddhism it also teaches a certain philosophy if life and death. Think mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy, these are all from buddhist belief. THere are similar lines of thinking in Christian and Jewish meditation , but things eastern tend to appeal to westerners. Myself, I just pray the Rosary. To each his own.....
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back