Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fair Oaks Ranch
My wife has started choking more frequently — usually on liquids, but sometimes on grainy food. I don’t know what to do in theses cases. She continues to cough for a long time. We have used the cough assist with some success, but have not yet used the suction device. She gets a bit panicked and so do I. Any suggestions? We are scheduled for a PEG later this month.

The PEG should solve most of the problem.

If she’s choking on solid foods, you may have to employ the Heimlich maneuver (look it up), though sometimes slapping the heel of your hand on her mid back (“back blows”) will also do the trick.

If she’s choking on liquids, belching may help. Also, tilting head forward while drinking liquids may help liquids go down the esophagus rather than into the lungs.

Again, the PEG should help prevent most of this.

**CHECK WITH PHYSICIAN FIRST BEFORE USING **
Thickened fluids: From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thickened_fluids

"There are multiple commercial thickeners on the market for thickening liquids. Vendors are also offer pre-thickened liquids such as water, juice, and milk in individual serving sized cartons. Some commercial thickeners use modified maize starch, which helps support hydration and nutritional levels, while others use xanthan gum."

In search window, type in: thickener for liquids for als patients - or - https://www.bing.com/images/search?...ckener+for+liquids+for+als+patients&FORM=IGRE

I'm not recommending, only providing information. Was necessary for friend with cancer. Hope this may be helpful. Take care and may you find something beautiful today to lift your spirits. May Blessings abound - Bea.

Addendum to above: You may already know this, but thickening liquids with “thick-it” also helps. I am sure others will chime in regarding other thickeners .

Blending her food to make it one consistency might also help. You can add juice, broth or other liquid to the solid food to create a milkshake-like thickness.

Glad she's getting her PEG soon.

Cornstarch or flour or cooked cream of rice is a cheaper thickener, as is a raw or semi-cooked egg. Excessive gum consumption can cause GI issues.

Avoid coarse/grainy textures, skins and small bits, from cornbread to anything with a seed or hard core. Butter can help eggs go down, etc. Smooth foods out. And warming them (or for some, cooling them e.g. icy smoothie) may help. We've had threads about blending nut butters, eggs, ice cream, sorbet, softer frozen, canned or fresh fruit like peeled peaches, etc.

The suggestions here are all good to keep her from chocking but there is little to be done during the choking itself. i try and tell myself to keep calm and to try and relax. if i am choking because of mucus i get some robotussin in me it seems to break it up in minutes. i also take 1 alka seltzer in thickened water each morning it seems to clean the mucus "pallet" wich has helped. beawre though that alka seltser contains asprin and can lead to ultcers.

other than that i do not know how to stop the choking/hyper gag reflex once it starts. i am on a diet of all things pudding consistancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back