Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
Nebraska
City
York
Quick question on female catheters: I know internal catheters are a no-no typically because of UTI risks. Has anyone ever used a Purewick external catheter? My PALs is in the hospital and they are letting her try one. Is this viable for ALS patients home use?

Most PALS do not have incontinence and so do well with urinals, which creates less infection/ulceration risk overall. The external catheter is in a sensitive area so pressure injuries are a concern. My question would be whether she really needs a catheter.

Good question. My typical schedule is: wake up at 6:45 am, get my wife to the barhroom, set in her chair, and a drink. My 20 year old son then takes over while I go to work at 8 am, feeding her, etc.. Then I come home at 12, and take her to the bathroom, lunch, meds, etc. She won't go to the toilet with anyone except for me. I don't think she would let me son use a urinal on her either. I was looking for a way to get her through my work day.

Nebraska, I understand your situation, but you know it's not sustainable for her not to toilet with your son. Sooner or later, that day will come. Even if you go with the PureWick, external catheters tend to slip, and bags will still need emptying. At some point, there will be an urgent BM.

So I think this is part of a broader discussion among the three of you. Remember your "we" statements, like "We want to take care of you the best way possible, and that includes Joe supporting Harry while Harry is at work, so we can give you, all the help you need, as soon as you need it..." It is also inescapable and can be mentioned that holding on to urine or stool due to scheduling makes it harder to continue to go naturally.

I wish I could say something more helpful.

Best,
Laurie

A concerning thing that can happen in these situation is that the PALS reduces their fluid intake to try to limit trips to the loo.

Dehydration causes all kinds of issues that are far worse than being toileted by someone.

It really is an issue for women as we have the urinal and condom catheter for men that can make the whole business so much easier.

Thank you for the responses. I'm trying to set up full palative care with an outside agency, but wrestling insurance and some other sources of funding. This has been our reality for the last 6-8 months and I agree is not sustainable. Just looking for any tools that might make it easier.

Per the nursing staff and company website the "wick' keeps dry and is not the normal risk of a female catheter. Guess I need to continue my research, and getting more home health may make it a mute point. Thanks again.

I have not seen a female urinal that works very well. Would appreciate a reference if you have one. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back