Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Uk
City
Guernsey
Hi - I attended my GP/PCP recently because my left hand, in particular the back of the hand between the index finger and the largest finger, looks to have lost muscle/flesh and has a prominent indent, could i have thoughts on this please from the attached photos, i.e. does it look like wasting? I was told by the doctor to "wait three months and see how it goes" pending a possible neurologist referral.

By way of a brief medical history, 18 months of twitching - calves, feet, arms and back. Same period of time with a stiffness in the thighs, particularly the left, that makes walking appreciable distances uncomfortable, not sure if maybe some of the stiffness has been alleviated by carbamazepine which was prescribed after a neuro saw the twitches 16 months ago.

I note the stickies above but don't feel i'm functioning as comfortably as i was, say, 2 years ago.

thank you

Attachments

• DFD7B52F-CB23-4E9F-8392-6357CCB96EAA.jpg
    DFD7B52F-CB23-4E9F-8392-6357CCB96EAA.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 241
  • E4B6E9DB-6608-474C-8129-5ED0203976C9.jpg
    E4B6E9DB-6608-474C-8129-5ED0203976C9.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 223
We really can’t tell much from pictures. Most twitching is harmless as are dents. If you’re worried, it is best to see a neurologist. However, nothing in your post screams ALS/ MND.

Just in case the OP hopes for a second opinion:

There isn't one.

You've described getting older. Absolutely nothing in your post makes me think of...anything. Certainly no reason to consider ALS.

ok - many thanks to the two who took the time to respond to me.
i'll wait it out, it was more the "ding" in the back of my hand that prompted the post along with everything else because the twitches have never caused me bother, stiffness in legs does though. That said, I've been able to put on 18lbs since "things" started 18 months ago through a mixture of increased eating and some upper body resistance work.
I like your profile photo, Atsugi, are you a pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back