Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
I don’t post here often but I you all still feel such a community and connection here. It’s been 1 year and 3 1/2 months since we lost Ted. I was thinking this morning that I used to mark my babies’ ages in months but eventually we just say their ages in years. Is it the same with marking a loved one’s passing.

Anyway, I finally got myself to clean out his things. I did it in stages, shoes, then suits and closet. I was emotionally fine with all of those things. I waited and waited on the dresser and finally did it this week and while I was fine doing it—I have been tearful and emotional ever since.

I wanted the dresser done because tomorrow I leave for the Camino in Spain. For those who don’t know, it is a 500 mile pilgrimage across Northern Spain. I plan to average 15 miles a day and hope to do it in 33 days. I have been training since the fall, but really amped it up this spring. I have loved the training and have felt strong till this week, I decided I wanted his dresser cleaned out before I left so when I come home it will be done. But truly I am now nervous and weepy about all of it and I haven’t felt like this in months — stupid grief. The girls and he used to have a special rocks, so I am taking one of those with me as the tradition of the Camino is to leave a rock at the iron cross to symbolize leaving your burdens and worries.

Let’s hope I can do it—and I don’t cry the whole flipping way. Wish me luck (especially since my Spanish is extremely limited!). Buen Camino!

Tracy

Safe travels and may it bring you peace and renewal.

When you return please come back and tell us how it went

Wishing you a wonderful time of renewal as you complete this quest. As Nikki says, please follow up on how it went.

Hugs,

sue

Hoping this quest brings you much peace and strength, Tracy! May your feet and heart be light.

Best,
Laurie

I’m impressed. There was a really great film I saw from 2013 called “Walking the Camino”, and I highly recommend it.

Best of luck on your journey.

I'm SO excited for you, Tracy! My oldest daughter(23) did the Camino last summer. She absolutely loved it, saying it was a life changing experience! She went alone, as the friend who she had planned on traveling with backed out. She met many wonderful people along the way. She said people tended to group up with others hiking at the same pace, so she was only alone when she wanted to be. She posted pictures on Instagram every day so we could keep up with her journey ( and to calm some mama-bird fears, since she is a type 1 diabetic). She only had whatever Spanish she remembered from high school, but didn't seem to have any issues with language, even though she ended up mostly hiking with foreigners.

I hope you have a wonderful time! Please share some pics if you can.

By the way, there is a book called "I'll Push You" about 2 best friends who traveled the Camino. One had a motor neuron disease, so the other friend pushed him in a wheelchair the whole way. It speaks of their journey and all the people who helped them along the way.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Oh, and she did bring a rock from home to leave. She has an absolutely stunning picture of the day she left it. It was sunrise and the lighting was gorgeous. I hope when you leave your rock, some of your grief will be lifted.

Hugs!

Her post that day:

Today I watched the sun rise on top of a mountain of rocks from around the world. People carried them from their homes to place them at the foot of this iron cross so to let go of the weight of their worries on the camino. So we sat and forgot together.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1528423073977.jpg
    FB_IMG_1528423073977.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 270
Oh my, that's beautiful!!! I heard about the movie, "I will push you" but have just seen the trailer, not the movie. It looked pretty awesome! Thanks to you all for the words of encouragement! I will keep you posted!
Buen Camino
Tracy

Good journey. While meeting new people is one of the best parts of the Camino, don't forget to allow space for silence. It is in silence that we are able to hear the voice of God.
Vincent

Vamos con Dios

Mi espanol es Malo!

I have made a promise to Mother Mary, before we had mum diagnosis, that il go and visit her in the Island of Tinos here in Greece. Its tradition for those who have health issues and many miracles have happened. Even though we have a diagnosis i hope illmanage to keep my promise and go no matter what is going to happen. Im sorry for your loss and wishing you the best in your trip.

So I am 12 days into my Camino walk. I have completed about 180 miles in that time. I am currently in Burgos, a small city in Northern Spain. I decided to take a rest day in Burgos tomorrow, so tonight i stayed out later and had desserts and drinks with friends I had met in the path that were departing from here.

On our way back, my friend and I literally stumbled upon an ALS awareness event. It was amazing, they lit the arch into the city in green. One woman asked me, in broken English, if I knew ALS. We explained about Ted and the Walk and they gave us shirts and ribbons and welcomed us warmly. It was very moving.

I just can't believe how we stumbled upon such a meaningful event in a small city in Northern Spain at 10 pm on a Thursday night. There were a couple hundred people there. It was so amazing. Thought you guys would appreciate the story.

Buen Camino.

Tracy

What a coincidence!
Thank you for your warm postcard from the path! :)

Wow, just wow!

Great to hear from you.

Buen Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back