Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
Well I am intrigued with a members choice in reaching the finish line by untilizing VSED . Along with hospice help.

Does anyone know what insurence companies think about this.

Seems like a good way to head out but not at the loss of life insurance.
Any thoughts?
Chally

For those like me who had to pause and scratch head briefly...

VSED = Voluntary Stop Eating and Drinking

I don't think insurance companies investigate someone dying under hospice care. If I took an overdose of morphine, I would die of respiratory arrest which is consistent with ALS. Note to PALS/CALS: Some life insurance policies have accelerated benefits that pay out a portion if life expectancy is under a certain number of months. You can also sell an insurance policy and get a viatical settlement from a third party. Both accelerated death benefits and viatical settlements could have tax consequences and can affect Medicaid.

I suppose anything is possible but a case can be made for stopping eating and drinking if there is bulbar involvement.

I was scratching too when I saw this in in memory.... VSED

Took a bit of searching

Suicide as the cause of death would invalidate a policy that excluded it. However, VSED with or without hospice should result in a doc listing ALS/respiratory insufficiency as the cause of death on the certificate. It's all about what the doc writes, so you can talk to them in advance if you're worried. I have never known or imagined that a doc would jump into a hornet's nest like that with ALS -- it's a serious charge, for many reasons and requires a coroner's investigation. But with ALS, there is no reason for a coroner to be interested.

In our case, without hospice, the paramedics/cops/coroner's delegate were all happy once I flashed Larry's advance directive at the paramedics, who of course showed up first. I'd imagine in a smaller city, many fewer people would have shown up.

If you think about it, many, many deaths among PALS amount to VSED without calling it that -- the only difference is the number of days by which the strategy is preannounced, and how weak the PALS is at that point.

Thx Laurie, whatever choice I make I will be sure my family understands the importance of cause of death as ALS

No one should have to sweat COD as long as you've seen whatever doc will complete the death certificate within the last year. That's pretty much the norm, for that and for getting things like morphine or other rx. Also, FYI, for completeness, some docs will list other known, possibly fatal conditions.

In our case, actually, the doc wasn't around so a physician's assistant did the certificate, double-checking with me. It really is pretty transactional.

Thx Laurie, whatever choice I make I will be sure my family understands the importance of cause of death as ALS

I believe that this is especially important for Veterans, as survivor benefits depend on it.

Right you are Greg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back