Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
Sitting at my window watching some goldfinches eating. Nice rain in the night with the sound hitting the roof.
Must enjoy the smaller things in life as this nightmare has taken most everything.
IIWII
Chally

Re: PALS roll call Wednesdays (or whenever)

Chally;

The Goldfinches are a beautiful bird. We haven't seen them yet this year but we know they are coming.

One of my priorities as a CALS is keeping the bird feeder filled with seed.

We have a pair of pileated woodpeckers that show themselves occasionally along with many other birds.

Not knowing all the proper names for some of the creatures we begun to call them things like "various brown birds".

Ernie

Re: PALS roll call Wednesdays (or whenever)

I think it’s almost more fun to make up your own names for the birds. We have little brown birds, little yellow birds, little chirpers, etc. You guys out east have cardinals. What a treat. We don’t have them out west.

So fun to watch the critters and also watching how the plants change with the seasons.

Bird posts- moved from PALS roll call

Hi Karen;

I took credit for the moniker "various brown birds" but it was actually my neighbor who coined the term.

Do you have blue jays out west? They are exceptionally unique in color and behavior. They taunted our cat by diving at him. He enjoyed many meals by just waiting for the right moment. Just nature at work but while the cat was alive we lost sightings of blue jays. They are back this year.

May not be directly associated with ALS but the birds make for a nice distraction.

These posts were moved as it is a lovely discussion but the PALS roll call is supposed to be PALS only. I believe the tag I put on the thread was accidentally removed by forum software. Will try to reinstate

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother loved the birds. Last spring I cut an orange in half and stuck it with the feeder. That same day two male Baltimore oriole's came (you don't see too many around here) and stayed until the orange was gone. He loved their beautiful, bright colors. They never returned. He even got to witness a bear at his feeder last spring.

Ernie, we have Stellars Jays out here on the west coast. They are just as loud, crafty and obnoxious as the Blue Jay- just darker blue shading into black across the head and up to the crest. I've had several in the last few days come to my patio with the express intent to devil my cat through the window. He deserves every bit of abuse the jays scream at him.

We get the pileated woodpeckers out here too. My sister just told me her neighbour is having to change out his siding to hardy board because the woodpeckers were tearing his cedar siding apart. The flickers are also using his tin chimney flashing and cap as bongo drums for mating season. He's not a big fan of birds right now.

Our family has always referred to all the little brown birds as "LBJs" (little brown jobs) and turn it into a sport in attempts to identify them. Pretty sure everyone in my family has at least two bird books- one illustrated, the other photos- in order to back up claims.

I envy you in your Eastern birds- cardinals, tanagers and the like. Lots of colour and lovely song.

Attachments

• jay.jpg
    jay.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Oh yes we loves the birdies!

Even with a large cat population we get quite a variety.

We so many cardinals but now not so as I think their nesting up.

Birds and flowers. Yahoo

What no “Johnathan Livingston “ seagul”!

Chally, you'll just have to make do with a Judy Dench Night Terror. Johnathan Livingston Seagull has moved on to higher planes...

I have become quite a birdwatcher with all this sitting.
my favorites that visit daily are roadrunners, hummingbird, quail, Cardinals, and my all time favorite, the hawk

Oh ShiftKicker, your bird poster is just too good.

Yes, lots of blue jays out west. Both Stellar’s Jays and Scrub Jays. Feisty, noisy little things, and smart too. But they’re related to crows, and we know how smart crows are.

So here in the NW, we have jays, robins, finches, hummers, junkos, cedar waxwings, red wing blackbirds, all sorts of hawks, owls, doves, lbb’s, lyb’s, and miscellaneous assorted tweety birds, aka little chirpers.

I still wish we had cardinals, though. I had never seen one until a couple years ago when I was visiting Indiana.

Last edited:
Funny, hoping to move on from the other topic I started here I closed that one about my other hobby. My bird feeders. My favorite are Humming Birds.

I found Humming Bird feeders that have a water mote on the top of them to keep ants from coming down the hangers.

Got some pictures if I can figure out how to post them. A few of birds sitting on my finger.

Chally....Me and Harlee watch birds every day. We have a lot of large trees for nesting and a variety of birds use them.

The Robins and humming birds seem the most social and will often come right up to us. Magpies, wood peckers, Finch, Blackbirds, Doves and Quail are commonly seen in my back yard.

We also watch planes and are in line with the Salt Lake International Airport. It is amazing to me how many freakin airplanes land during various times of the day.

None of this seemed to matter to me prior to diagnosis. I think knowing you have an expiration date has made me live more in the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back