Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Long Island
Hello I have been having some muscle twitches for about 3 weeks. I went to a primary care doctor and she said that my reflexes were normal and to relax about my symptoms. I don’t seem to have any strength lost but have been having trouble sleeping due to my muscles twitching. It feels like a small flutter under my skin. I can see them when I’m wearing pants and sitting down relaxing and Laying in bed. I also sometimes feel them when I’m standing very still. I get these twitches in my neck, arms, buttocks, legs and feet and hands and face. The doctor I saw said I don’t fit the bill for als since I’m 33. I also suffer from anxiety. I just gave birth 4 months ago. I’m very worried about my symptoms but the doctor said I didn’t need any further testing since I don’t have weakness or over active reflexes. I’m just concerned that the muscle twitches are something more. I also sometimes feel a slight buzzing sensation. I have always, since I was a young girl, felt these fluttering feelings under my skin but they have become more frequent now. I’m wondering if any of this sounds like als.

Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure how to use the forum. I have just been having a rough time. I keep doing strength tests to see if I’m still able to do everything. I am. Sometimes I drop things but I have always been Clumsy by nature but since the twitching I’m second guessing-everything. The doctor tested my grip strength and didn’t see any concerns. Again thank you for your reply.

Sorry to keep posting but the twitches sometimes feel more like kinks under my skin. I’m not sure if that is the same thing.

Have you read the link Nikki provided? You will find many answers there. If you are not satisfied with your doctor's advice and assessment, or are not reassured by their response, you may need to visit with another. There really isn't anything folks here can do for you with regards to quality and feel of twitches.

I guess my real fear is coming from having a positive Hoffman sign in both hands. The doctor said that because my other reflexes were not over active that they don’t look at the Hoffman. I’ve only tested it on myself and I’ve had three doctors tell me that it is not cause for concern since I have no weakness or loss of function. I’m not even sure if it is a full response. It looks like the tip of my index finger moves but no other fingers and it doesn’t happen every time.

1. You can not self test reflexes. Even someone medically trained can not.
2 IF you actually have a bilateral Hoffman sign performed found by a clinician if it is bilateral it is usually normal.
3 even a unilateral Hoffman in the absence of anything else is probably ok

Thank you so much Nikki. You have helped ease my mind. Thank you. I will no longer post.

Sorry to post again but now I am concerned with bulbar onset. I feel like I have to clear my throat a lot and I also noticed that my uvula looks to be hanging low. The doctor who Saw me did not mention that at all so I’m not sure if that is Just how it looks or not. I keep feeling like I sound nasal and am slurring however my entire family keeps reassuring me that I do not. I know some times my words come out too fast and I’m wondering if any of this sounds like bulbar onset. The twitching that I have been experiencing has slowed down quite a bit. It seems to get worse when I start to have an anxiety attack. When the doctor looked At my tongue she said it looked good and that I just looked very dehydrated. Any insight would be helpful thank you

Oh my goodness. This forum really isn't the place to help you with your concerns about symptoms. Please continue seeking in- person medical care to look for causes for your symptoms. Your stated anxiety attacks can not be helped here- this simply isn't a health anxiety or general medical concern forum. It's a place for people who have ALS and their caregivers- and should not be used as online counseling or a place to self diagnose.

Best wishes

Sorry I was just wondering if it sounded like als at all

No, it doesn't. I think anyone reading this would suggest you hydrate, sleep and maybe get a night out with friends, followed by counseling if you continue to be ruled by your fears. Congratulations on your new baby, who certainly deserves your full attention.

Best,
Laurie

Oh Lord, please move on. Your doctor told you you were dehydrated, that's all. Lucky you. You know what the doctor told my husband? "You have ALS"!. I wish my husband had as innocuous diagnosis as "very dehydrated".

It's time to stop posting on this forum...forever. Enjoy your life and being with your children. Everyday you waste on spending on a disease you so obviously do not have, is time you will never, ever get back.

Goodbye

Thank you very much! I think I need to block these sites as they are only contributing to my fears. Counseling is the next step. Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back