Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
Should ALS patient do physical exercise for therapy? Some say no and save energy for things that lend to quality of life. Some say only range of motion. Some posts from PALS say It helps maintains muscle tone..

My wife still has the ability to lift herself into a standing position which helps with potty and bed but I've noticed a slight decline in her ability to do so. Is there something in the way of physical therapy that may help maintain this ability a little longer?

I find nothing wrong with moderate exercise.
Al

Brian did some light exercise as long as he could. I believe it helped, but there is no way of knowing for sure. I know in his case, it didn’t hurt.

Hugs,

Sue

Stretching and range of motion for sure. Check out Chally’s exercise video from a few weeks ago in the general forum—- it’s based on the “sit and be fit” concept for exercises that can be done from a chair.

I’m still ambulatory and have a gentle routine I do at the gym.

It’s said that as long as the PALS doesn’t feel wiped out an hour later and could repeat the exercises if they had to, that it’s probably safe.

BTW I like your picture Chincoteaguer.

Chally is my personal trainer...check him out.

Keep in mind that you should stay within your ability. If you over do exercise, you will pay the price later. It will magnify your symptoms for a day or two.

Thanks a bunch to all. And thank you Karen for the plus on the picture. I noticed that JimInVa posted his picture and I liked having a face with the person that has been so helpful with my CALS challenges.

I found that exercise helps my mood a great deal. I still walk on the treadmill every morning. I only walk 1/2 mile at 3.2 MPG so it takes me 10 minutes. Add to that walking back and forth to the mail room and getting up and down from my lift chair about 20 times a day helps. I have a lot of difficulty with range of motion because most of my joints have tendonitis and my shoulders have rotator cuff tears, so I just have to be very careful with ROM exercises. Last summer I went in the pool most every day. Beginning in April, our pool temperature will get turned back to 85 so I'll see if I can keep up my pool routine. I think it helped my ankle recover from a bad sprain last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back