Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I'm not really sure where to something anymore. Maybe this is the right place. :)

Recently I had to travel through the Atlanta Airport. At my gate, I was there for the next flight, on the departing flight boarding was a guy in a wheel chair like me with wheel chair assist provided by the airport (I highly recommend, you have to tip them but it is worth it). He had a card/badge pinned or clipped to his jacket.

It was red about 3" by 5"inches with white letters at the top that said ALS. Ann was able to walk over as he boarding and look at it and below in smaller print was a designate of an ALS chapter. They put him on the flight first.

PS. Changing flights at Atlanta Airport. There was no way Ann could have pushed me in that wheel chair, handling the trolley from one Delta gate to the next.

You have to request wheel chair assist when you buy your tickets. It's worth it the tip each time.

Anywhooo... is anyone familiar with the ALS card thing?

That's a great idea.

I had a very good experience flying from Daytona Beach to Baltimore. Even though I walked pretty fast back then I had back and ankle issues I didn't want to make worse. I requested a wheelchair and Delta treated me like royalty. The wheelchair attendant stopped to let me use the restroom and get some ice cream! The walk from one gate to another in Atlanta was nearly a mile. I would have worn me out carrying my bag. Plus, I didn't even have to find where I was going.

I would recommend it for senior citizens and others who have pain issues, too. My brother won't use it. He's 81 with pretty bad RA. He'd rather complain after the fact.

Hey Kim, thanks for the reply.

I was just wondering about the card/badge that guy had pinned/clipped to his jacket from his ALS chapter. I got the initial package from the Catfish Hunter Chapter I now belong to and get their bi-monthly updates/etc. But... it doesn't have something like that.

Yes, Delta was great. There may have been other reasons but they did put him on the plane first and there was another in a wheel chair.

Just had me wondering.... thanks again.

I suspect he required a full transfer Al. Staffing safety and dignity are all reasons to do that first rather than later with people staring and moving around

They didn't board me first. :)

Really didn't make any difference to me... just was wondering about the identifier on his jacket.

Got mixed thoughts about that.

Edit: (Ok ok... took me a minute about the "full transfer" point you made.) Thanks.

Ok, on to something else.

Last edited:
Requesting wheelchair assist is one thing. Not everyone might feel comfortable about wearing the red badge of courage, however.

Karen, had the same thought when I wrote above "Got mixed thoughts about that".

Thanks.

Geez, I want to talk my husband into Hawaii. My sister in law has MS, and though for most distances she goes walker or even cane she always travels with a wheelchair and she tells me it’s the best. She started after falling in a plane exhausted from long corridors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back