Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I know normally the concern is about high CO2 in the blood, but does anyone know if low CO2 results are concerning in ALS?

I was at the ER and among their bloodwork showed a flagged CO2 level of 21. Two weeks ago in my regular in-clinic bloodwork my CO2 was 27. The ER docs had nothing to say but they don't really know anything about ALS. I emailed my neuro to make sure she's seen the results and find out if it's anything I should be concerned about.

In the meantime I thought I'd ask here.

i really dont know except that blood test very so much. i like your unicorn

thanks! it makes me happy!

Your unicorn makes me happy, too!
No clue about the CO2, hope your neuro answers quickly.

I don’t think it is concerning re ALS. Depending on the lab that is a point or two out of range Were the other values off too? You didn’t say what took you to the ED ( nor do you need to share) but it might be related to that issue

Always good to check with your neuro though

Low CO2 usually represents hyperventilation. So probably not from ALS.
I like the unicorn too :)

My CO2 was low and it was because I was hyperventilating. The next test it was normal. The third test it was also normal.

Ok thanks, I was certainly anxious due to discomfort in the hospital so hyperventilation makes sense. Neuro emailed me back, was not concerned, seems all is well.

My last two Arterial Blood Gas (ABG) tests have shown that I have low CO2 (in the same range as yours).

The pulmonologist, neurologist, general practitioner, and respiratory therapist have all said it is because I am consistently hyperventilating.

My breathing is pretty shallow (FVC is around 20%) but I breathe faster than typical with even slight exertion. The effort it takes to get to the lab and get my wrist exposed to do the ABG apparently causes me to hyperventilate.

All the doctors have reassured me that a low CO2 is nothing to worry about. In fact, they tell me it is a great sign that I can clear CO2 as well as I can.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back