Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
We have discussed this before. See here for part 2 which also contains a link to part 1
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/other/40084-how-make-things-easier-revisited.html

Please chime in with ideas and experiences.

My cleaning robots continue to do their job.

I just started getting grocery delivery and if it is in your area recommend it. Some places also have pickup service which would be better than nothing.

I also tried an online big boxstore ( boxed). The choices were limited but things arrived swiftly and well packaged.

I have been doing amazon and walmart deliveries for a long time as well as an online pet supply place that does not charge extra to ship litter and has free fast shipping above a certain dollar amount. I get both food and litter there.

Before internet and online this must have been so much harder!

I'm still doing grocery shopping but I do order a lot online. I highly recommend Organic Prairie (if you want good quality, organic chicken, turkey, and beef.) I also buy from Vital Choice. They ship wild Alaska salmon and scallops and are yummy. I use Amazon for most of my supplements and paper products as well as refrigerator filters and other supplies.

Publix, Florida's #1 grocery store delivers. I've been reluctant to start because they use a third party and I save 6% by using my American Express for grocery stores. Plus I can check expiration dates for meal planning.

We now have a local delivery service that will be starting up in my area for any restaurant offering takeout.

I can still drive to doctors appointments but I have friends willing to drive me, when needed.

I bought a Instant Pot that helps do veggies. I couldn't cut through a squash and this thing cooks an acorn squash to perfection in 9 minutes.

I get my pet supplies from Chewy and they send some good coupons. Ace is only 7 pounds and is trained to use a pee pad so no need to find a dog walker. Amazon has pee pads for half the price of local pet stores.

All my payments are automated and my income direct deposited.

The Ring doorbell/camera is working nicely. Someone rang my bell and I answered it from across town in iPhone.

I am finally able to wear my running sneakers again after my sprained ankle healed. It's still sore and I lost some ROM but the sneakers make my foot pain lessen.

I didn't bite the bullet for the floor cleaners. On the plus side, my floors are brown tile and don't show dirt. Otherwise, it would drive me crazy. I don't have carpeting so I know it gets very clean when it is swept and mopped. I have the cleaning people come in about once or twice a month. I can still manage to clean toilets, sinks and other light work.

Thanks Kim. Chewy is my pet supply place too

I was reluctant to start the grocery thing but my car is out of order just now so it seemed like a good time to experiment.

It saved a ton of energy. Once my car is back I might do a combo of mostly delivery but pick up a few things. It was really great just having to put things away from where they were left on my kichen island.

I have carpet and light colored flooring in the other places. Also long haired cat. My floors need frquent attention to be half way ok. If I had your situation I would probably use your solution Kim.

I have looked at instant pot Good to hear your review. Do you use it for anything other than veggies?

Last edited:
I'm a rookie but my cousin cooks veggies and salmon at the same time and said it all comes out moist and yummy. The first time I tried it I left the room because I was afraid it might explode. I got mine at Christmas at a very deep discount, 40% off.

" I left the room because I was afraid it might explode. " :)

Now that's funny. And I can relate. The first time I used an expresso maker (one cup size), I had read that expesso uses pressure to force the hot water through the coffee grounds. But how long would that take? Would there be enormous pressure at the moment I turned it on? Afterward, I realized I should have failed physics 101.

Thanks for the tip on Instant Pot. I was avoiding it, but now I'll try it.

MAKING THINGS EASIER: I have a door opener. Krissy would push a button on her PWC, and this automatic arm would open the front door. It still works, but would need an electrician to hook it up correctly, if anyone wants it.

I also have an X-10 controller and an IR controller that can turn on lights and TV.

I put little battery-operated motion-controlled lights around my house, so the user doesn't need to reach for the switch.

I just received a Nest thermostat. It will be installed sometime next week. When I had my ducts cleaned they checked the air handler because my existing thermostat was off by about 3 degrees. I had been looking at the Nest for awhile. The tech told me he had one.

It can learn your patterns in a week and change temperatures by itself. It can also be controlled by voice from my Amazon Echo or by touch from my iPhone.

I have automatic LED night lights around the condo. When it gets dark, I don't have to worry about seeing my way into rooms with the lights off.

I’m loving my Vitamix blender, but I don’t think this device would be news to anyone here. They’re also super easy to clean.

My boyfriend found the app "TV (Samsung) remote control" so he can control our Samsung TV from his phone via wifi. Easier to touch than to press buttons, one control less in his lap, no getting up to get the control and if I'm lazy in the bedroom I can use the same app to mute the sound/pause Netflix and call out to him if he wants dinner. The only thing it can't do is turn the TV on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back