Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
North Richland Hills
Hello all, have anyone used the HISA loan ?

We are in the process of getting it. Supposedly it has been approved but we haven't seen any money yet. From what I understand it is a grant, not a loan. You receive up to $6,800 for your improvement, half on approval and the other half after the work is complete.

Mary

Thank you , I don't know why I typed loan. Thank you.

Yes we used it . Easiest of the grants as it goes thru prostedtics quickly.
Now the SAH grant is more $ and so more involved to get it but well worth it.
Start the wheels right away for SAH cause your gonna need it and it takes time to process grant.
Good luck

Chalky , we've been approved for the SAH grant. We choose a contractor and he told us it was confusing to use both of the grants at the same time. Too much paper work maybe? I'm just wondering if We should get approved for it, for future needs.Thank you Dee

To get approved for the HISA grant you need to ask for it be used for something specific ordered by a VA doc. On the advice of the VA housing agent assigned to my husband he used it after the SAH grant work was completed.

We are using it the same time as the SAH grant, but we needed the additional $$ to do everything. Our contractor just earmarked a part of the project that could be separated out and wasn't a requirement under SAH. He did a separate estimate for that, we took pictures and completed the form to submit. The money isn't in our account yet, but it has been approved. We're in the midst of renovations now, dust everywhere, and the HISA portion has been completed. HISA was very easy compared to SAH. If you don't need the money from HISA right now there really isn't any reason to use it yet. You can hold it for the future. It is pretty quick and easy to complete. The SAH grant on the other hand should be done right away because it is an administrative mess and takes a lot of time. My advice to everybody would be don't wait on SAH, start yesterday!

Our state, Virginia, also had a grant of $4,000 which was easy to do. So check for state assistance too.

Mary

Thanks for some great tips. I will call our contractor today , and our VA guy. Jim does not even like to talk about it. When the contractors were here I would have to ask him to come into whatever room we were discussing. Maybe it's a form of denial , I know I am.I do appreciate the input . Dee

Just a little thought, if I may. Find out if the VA will cover whatever you are trying to adapt in your home before committing HISA grant funds to it. Things like ramps come to mind. I have found that the VA will provide many things that you might think you would need to use grant money for. Often times I just ask my OT and they are able to steer me right.

Thank you GillG I'm going to call tomorrow .Do you use the VA in Dallas? welcome too , there are many helpful people here.All the best to you .

Thank you. I go to the VA in San Antonio. I have been able to get so much through the VA. We are truly fortunate to have this benefit to move forward with this disease . If you ever have any questions, do not hesitate to ask . I enjoy sharing my experience and am always learning more and more .

We are so lucky to have the VA helping. I'm joined a closed Facebook forum recently. Some CALS have been upset about vet's receiving benefits , which they don't. It got pretty heated.

The only complaints I have is with prosthetics and the lack of a consistent standard of care.

Could any tell me what the best use of the HISA grant was for you?

We used it to help pay for the generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back