Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Portland
I'll spare you most of the details, but twitching started in late November 2015. Started in left calf but rapidly progressed to all over (more in lower body though). Twitching has pretty steadily gotten worse over two years - more new twitches have come than old twitches have gone.

I'm 42. I have diagnosed stenosis in cervical spine (that's the only spinal area they MRI'd a year ago) and we have a family history of osteoarthritis.

Since early August 2017 I noticed my left leg (esp quads) was feeling weak - eg feels harder to get up stairs on that leg, left thigh twitches more than right thigh. Also, the left leg just feels "weird" too - not painful, just sort of discomfort (almost a "tired" feeling), especially when sitting, like in a car or at a desk. The "weird/tired" feeling is less when I'm lying down.

No other subjective or objective weakness.

Strength testing since then to now has shown that the left leg can do a single unilateral leg extension (quad isolation machine) about 5-15lbs less than right leg (130lbs vs 140lbs plus or minus). Left quad is physically sore for 1-2 days longer than right quad after gym routine. I can do pretty much the same weights on the left quads for the last 6 months.

This difference between left and right quad has stayed pretty constant (it goes up and down but has never broken out of this range) over the last 6.5 months.

Interestingly, my left leg is actually a little stronger when doing leg presses (which use the glutes as well as the quads). Odd given left has weaker quads..?

In the last week I have been getting a lot of tongue fascs throughout the day, I know when they're happening as my tongue goes tingly and I can see them in the mirror, though they're very fine. No issues with slurring/drinking/eating.

So I'm 2 years (26 months to be precise, who's counting??) post symptom onset. Constant feeling of weakness in left leg for 6+ months, but no significant change in objective testing at gym.

I know better than to ask if I have ALS, so...

MY QUESTION: If my left leg really is clinically weak from ALS, would I reasonably expect it to have deteriorated further in the (almost) 7 months since I first noted the weakness (Aug-2017), OR, is it very possible that a weak muscle doesn't get any noticeably weaker within 6-7 months?

Also - tongue fasciculations...

Thank you so much,
MrP.

Last edited:
Hello- I've gone back over your 7 other threads. It's clear you have symptoms that are worrying for you. 2, almost 3 years, of posting now, but no pattern of progression that can be linked to MND/ALS. There are many things that can cause weakness on one side or in a single limb. ALS would be very clearly in the picture by now if your symptoms could be attributed to ALS. So, your question about your leg- Yes. If it was weak from ALS, the difference and progression would be absolutely notable by now.

If your concerns continue to bring you to an ALS forum to ask questions, a better use of your time would be to work with your doctor to get to the bottom of it. It's not clear if you are working with a physio. They are also qualified to track changes and assess structural vs neurological causes, and you may get way more mileage working closely with an experienced physio. Testing yourself is subjective and in no way can this help you figure it all out on your own.

Please, work with a doctor or physio- it's more productive than returning over and over again to a forum of people who can not assess you and have indicated multiple times they can't help you.

Thank you very much for your prompt response Shiftkicker, it is much appreciated for your thoroughness, clarity, thoughtfulness and directness.

Kind regards,
MrP.

I seriously recommend a physio- no joke. They spend longer with physical assessment and can track changes objectively as you spend more time with them. If there's something to catch, they will- and be able to provide educated and professional recommendations to your gp if it's something that needs to be looked into further. The added bonus of working on fitness and increasing strength, along with pain mitigation is a good incentive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back