Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Texas
City
North Richland Hills
I'm thinking about buying a book on signing .Jim can't talk at all. We could communicate this way. He still has full use of his hands , but typing everything slows him down , some day's he will just shake his head and give up.Ironically his texting skills are great.Would this just be one more hurdle for him?

I'm sorry, are you saying Jim is better at texting on his phone than typing on a laptop? Is that how he communicates? Could he use a different keyboard app on his phone -- some are better designed for fast typing, e.g. with better word prediction and/or swiping to connect letters. Or if fine motor movement is more difficult, a tablet, with wider "keys" might help.

Not knowing how fast he types and how long he will be able to, answering whether signing would be better is difficult. I would probably try to make the most of what he has before deciding.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thank you Laurie. He type's fairly fast. When texting too. The text to speech is the size of a hardback book , it just takes a while to hunt and peck the letters out.I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply. I really appreciate you being on this site to offer help.I know that you lost a love one to this terrible disease .Have a nice Sunday , Dee

Dee, did the VA provide an AAC device for him? There are also several iOS and Android AAC applications if he is looking for a smaller footprint. I have Speech Assistant on my iPhone. It comes with many canned statements and phrases plus allows you to add your own most-used responses for quick recall.

We are going to the Dallas VA next week to look at some different text to talk , one evidently has phrases to program. The phone app sound's great. Thank you.

I'm thinking about buying a book on signing .Jim can't talk at all. We could communicate this way. He still has full use of his hands , but typing everything slows him down , some day's he will just shake his head and give up.Ironically his texting skills are great.Would this just be one more hurdle for him?
I posted this on another thread about signing. My grandmother could not hear or talk and did not have benefit of a school for the deaf and blind. She had her own sign language including body gestures, etc. she effectively communicated with those who knew her. You've probably already done this but you could make up your own sign language to supplement other methods of communicating. My wife and I have created/evolved several signs that we use to communicate. It really helps. Hands flat and in front of face (not touching face) means TV. Rubbing fist together and pointing to wash room means check washing machine or dryer. Pointing at certain objects. (wheelchair means a potty break is needed).

I think it would increase the anxiety and frustration to learn sign language.

I have to communicate with text or PC. I text my wife while she and I are in the same house. It is not ideal, but it is the only way I can communicate accurately. I haven't been thru a drive-up window in about 5 years. I use a clip board when I need to go to Home Depot or Auto Zone.

It TRUELY SUCKS!

The text to speech apps with phrases and the ability to create and store your own phrases is, in my opinion, the way to go.

Thank you Laurie. He type's fairly fast. When texting too. The text to speech is the size of a hardback book , it just takes a while to hunt and peck the letters out.I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply. I really appreciate you being on this site to offer help.I know that you lost a love one to this terrible disease .Have a nice Sunday , Dee

This completely explains what we go thru, especially "I think he is nervous knowing someone is waiting on him to reply". That is exactly why I don't use my text to speech in public. Usually people in general are very impatient and some are just plain rude!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back