Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
TEXAS
City
MIDLAND
My wife was diagnosed at Mayo in Phoenix in 2009. She now has no use of her arms or legs, can stand with assistance. She went to a urologist thinking she had a urine infection. All tests were negative. She is having to urinate very often, much more then normal. Our question is " Is this related to her ALS because of nerve deterioration?"

It is rare but possible. A trial of a drug to reduce frequency, that can be prescribed, could be an option.

Welcome! Feel free to start another thread and introduce yourself.

Best,
Laurie

I have primarily UMN issues, and would like to add, spastic bladders and urgency can be a component for sure. Some drugs can amplify the "have to go" feeling as well, all while preventing emptying a full bladder completely. It's uncomfortable and can definitely promote the feeling of urgency/uti issues. Sorry your wife is experiencing this. Anxiety about needing help to pee or having to go all the time can also cause retention or incomplete emptying.

When your wife went to the urologist, did they do a sonogram on her bladder after she urinated to make sure there was no excess retention? I ask because I've never had a urinary tract infection but I did have an urgency issue about 15 years ago. They did a simple office procedure to stretch my urethra. It solved the urgency problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back