Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
I’m in the process of having my master bathroom remodeled in anticipation of the inevitable power wheelchair (which I don’t yet have or need immediately). My question has to do with the amount of clearance needed below the sink, thinking I will be pulling the chair under the sink when I use it. I know little about pwcs, eg if the arms of the chair swivel out of the way while one is using the sink (assuming one still has functioning hands). I’m tall, 5’11”, so I can imagine quite a bit of clearance is needed under the sink for my knees while in the chair. I’d appreciate hearing from others with experience. Thanks.

Hey Karen, remodeling before ya need to is smart.

Not wanting to push ya along but some of us with PWC also have bedroom and bath very close together and so both are serviced by the inevitable ceiling lift. The lift is very important to git out of the bed to the throne,to shower,dressed then into PWC for adventures.
A pedistal sink works!
Good luck
Love ya
Chally

The VA is about to start our remodeling and they’re going to put in a pedestal sink.

I would hire a contractor with experience in accessible bathrooms and get more than one estimate. I borrowed a chair when my contractor first came. I think Chally's point of having things close, if possible, is good. There are many different sinks. Mine looks just like a regular sink but the pipes are concealed with wood. We tried it with the power chair and it will work as long as I can use my hands. I wanted to make sure I had enough room in the shower so I gutted the master bath and started with a clean slate. Because of the ceiling track, I had more freedom in design. I've not yet put the ceiling track in but I widened all the doors and put an 8-ft door on the bathroom. The ceiling track people suggested it.

I had outlets put in my master closet to park and charge the PWC. When you look at my bathroom it doesn't really look any different from a modern bathroom except it has lots of grab bars and a roll in shower. If I still do the ceiling track it will take me into the shower or to the commode. I also have the option of using a bedside commode with a stationary lift over my bed. I haven't decided yet. It will depend on if I want to stay here for the duration or go to a nursing home. My situation changed recently.

Some PALS I know convert their bathrooms into wet rooms and that's a good idea also. I almost did that but decided against it.

I do suggest a high toilet and bidet seat.

These photos were taken before it was finished but the roll in shower is 4.5 x 7. My new PWC fits in the cut out nicely. The contractor put outlets in the vanity drawers and there is lots of storage.

I actually had another master bath redone before mine and used bathfitters. It has a pull down bench and lots of grab bars, too. The pictures don't show the true dimensions but the shower is large enough that it'll work for me and a caregiver with room to spare.

I also ran the same tile throughout the condo so there is no carpet or thresholds to navigate. All doors were widened to 36 inches.

Attachments

• bathroom6.jpg
    bathroom6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 235
  • bathroom3.jpg
    bathroom3.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Kim — lovely pictures! What is the distance from the underside of your sink to the floor?
My sink is going to be more like yours rather than a pedestal sink.

Re: ceiling tracts — I hadn’t considered this. I don’t know anything about them so maybe Chally or Kim or can post a picture of the ceiling tract. I have this quirky image of a person being hitched to a ceiling tract via a sling, and zipping along from one space to the next kind of like on a zip line. Dunno if that’s what it’s actually like. Are there alternatives to ceiling tracts? This is all new to me.

Ironically my contractor is in a manual wheelchair due to a spinal cord injury. He still has good use of his arms and has all his minions do the grunt work. Not a bad gig.

Here is the ADA requirements. For a private home, you aren't required to meet them, but a good goal. For my wife, I am going to install a wall mount sink intended for a beauty parlor with the front notch, it has a deeper bowl than ADA sinks so I can wash her hair or she can at least get closer to the sink while brushing her teeth, etc. Haven't installed it yet and I won't be able to meet the 29 inch min and 34 inch max requirements, but then she is just 5 ft tall.

"Figure 31. Lavatory Clearances.
The minimum knee clearance must be free of equipment or obstructions for a minimum of 8 inches (205 mm) extending from the front edge of the lavatory back toward the wall. This knee clearance must be 29 inches (735 mm) high at the front of the lavatory and no less than 27 inches (685 mm) high at a point 8 inches (205 mm) back. In addition, a minimum 9 inches (230 mm) high toe clearance must be provided extending back toward the wall to a distance no more than 6 inches (150 mm) from the back wall. The toe clearance space must be free of equipment or obstructions.

The maximum height of the lavatory is 34 inches (865 mm). The bottom edge of a wall-mounted mirror must be mounted no more than 40 inches (1015 mm) above the floor."

You also need lots of room in front of the sink to maneuver a PWC up to it.

I requested mine at 35 inches from the floor. Right now It's wonderful on my back. No more bending over. Wheelchair fits nicely, too, when needed.

Karen, your mental image is pretty much spot on. There are a few ways you can do a track. I don't have mine installed but here are some pictures of what it would look like.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 212
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 203
In the above pictures, the second one is similar to my floor plan. I have a big bedroom with a wide hall into the master closet, then the bathroom is past the closet.

The picture of my actual bedroom (in this post) is looking at the master bath. The closet is on the right before you enter the master bath. The closet is the size of a small bedroom. The halls are wide in this condo but don't look it in these pictures.

So the track would be positioned over my bed and run toward the bath, then turn right and either go to the shower or keep going to the toilet.

Attachments

• Closet2.jpg
    Closet2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 18076985_10211744185827483_7534324931957957307_o.jpg
    18076985_10211744185827483_7534324931957957307_o.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 194
Re: ceiling track — holy s**t

Re: ceiling track — holy s**t

Karen we used to have a moderator named Joel. He put together a great blog of things like bathroom design, designing lifts, etc. in his ALS blog. The bathroom design is on page 2. He was a great fellow and I sure miss him. joelc's blog | ALS Support and Help Forum

Yo Karen, yeah like swinging on trapeze !
Pictures are my bed ,the gizmo, the track, shower etc. get a biget asap.
Good luck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 183
Trying again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 156
Pictures agugh!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 157
I have purged a lot of. Stuff so more to move around. Can only do one pic at time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back