Diagnosis
09/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
The Villages
Does anyone know if the VA reimburses for a power lift chair for ALS patients? Thank you in advance for your input !

The applicable paragraph on page 6 of the VHA HANDBOOK 1173.08 reads:

i. Seat Lift Mechanisms. Seat lift mechanisms need to be considered for patients who are unable to achieve the standing position when seated in a conventional height seat, when the patients have the ability to ambulate independently in a safe manner once in the standing position (refer to PCM Clinical Practice Recommendations for Prescription of Seat Lift Mechanisms found at: http://vaww1.va.gov/prosthetics/. NOTE: Lift chairs may not be provided.

The link in the paragraph is broken and gives a 'page not found error'. I would address this to you PCP to Prosthetics for a definitive answer. If they can't provide what you want, you might want to check through the Patriot Store to see if they can order what you want. I am fairly certain they are available for purchase through them at a reduced cost and no tax of course.

Dave

the va will provide a stair lift for sure, but don't know about a power lift chair.

'Reimburses'? I doubt it.

Supplies? Absolutely.

VA does not like you to git something and then they pay you back.
The best way to deal with purchases is to git pcp to consol it in then keep calling prostectic. You want prostectic to know you on first name bases cause your gonna need a lot of stuff and their the ones sending it on. Use your Drs rx.
Good luck
Chally

FWIW my VA (Iowa City) told me they wouldn't provide lift chairs by policy.

Ed

They told me to pick the one I wanted and they would get it ordered and delivered right to my front door with the rep to show me how to use it.

I got my power lift chair from ALS, free and I had the choice of four different ones.
Al

Your ALS Clinic team equipment guy should be able to assist you with answering that. I got to meet every one of the people that I might need support from with ALS at my first ALS Clinic visit. Got all the email, phone etc for all of them.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I will check with the local ALS chapter here in Florida to see what assistance and guidance they can offer. Merry Christmas everyone, and remember...grace under pressure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back