Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I'm a 31yo male, relatively healthy. For the past 5 weeks I have been experiencing concerning symptoms, leading me to believe I have ALS (or another neurological condition).

It started about 5 weeks ago when I woke up and it felt like my arms and legs were 'wet noodles'. That eventually went away, but still tends to return on and off. I then started having twitches/thumps in my thighs and calves, and that still hasn't gone away. I feel these twitches/thumps throughout the day, mostly when sitting but every now and then while standing. I also feel them in my arms and shoulders, but not nearly as often. The other symptom I have been experiencing is my arms and legs get tired and sore far easier than usual. For example, my thighs quickly get really sore and feel tired after limited walking or exercise. However, so far I haven't experienced any kind of muscle weakness.

It's the twitching that has me most concerned. I've never experienced this kind of persistent twitching before and it tends to keep hitting me in the same spots. Overall though, it's these 3 things combined has led me to believe I am experiencing early symptoms of ALS and I am not trying to educate myself on the subject. Every day I wake up hoping the twitches will go away, but so far no luck. I plan to see my doctor in a week or two if they don't disappear on their own.

Last edited:
I don't read anything suggesting ALS, but, as we always suggest, seeing your doc to rule out anything serious on other fronts can't hurt. Meanwhile, I would reconsider your sleep, stress, diet, hydration and exercise.

Best,
Laurie

Read the stickies. All your questions will be answered there.

As stated above, read the Pinned Post titled Read Before Posting.

In the meantime, a few thoughts :
- ALS symptoms don't 'come and go', as you state yours do,
- We don't 'feel like noodles'. We're clinically weak. I have never 'felt' weak, but my arms and legs no longer move.
- Twitching doesn't mean squat ; everyone twitches.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses - much appreciated.

I do realize my symptoms fall into a grey zone and everyone twitches at some point in their life. However, I have read a couple medical journals that mention quick muscle exhaustion and aching/stiffness can precede muscle weakness. It's this, combined with my twitching, that has led me to learn more about ALS and post on this forum. I have never had this kind of prolonged, nagging twitching before and it has me concerned.

You would be better served by going to a doctor to get things checked out. Three very knowledgeable and experienced forum members have told you "Nope, doesn't sound like it" and it seems like you are still not reassured.

Please understand that while these symptoms are very concerning to you, and you think you have symptoms that support a diagnosis of ALS, the people here think you don't. You have not mentioned seeing a doctor, and are posting subjective impressions only- restating why you think you have ALS is not likely to convince anyone. If this is consuming your time and causing you worry, go see a doctor to get an objective and professional assessment. Going from twitching to ALS is exactly the same logic leap as assuming you have lung cancer because you have a cough. The people here are not being dismissive of your concerns, they are just stating your symptoms do not equate ALS. A doctor can help you track down the cause for your symptoms.

You would be better served by going to a doctor to get things checked out. Three very knowledgeable and experienced forum members have told you "Nope, doesn't sound like it" and it seems like you are still not reassured.

Please understand that while these symptoms are very concerning to you, and you think you have symptoms that support a diagnosis of ALS, the people here think you don't. You have not mentioned seeing a doctor, and are posting subjective impressions only- restating why you think you have ALS is not likely to convince anyone. If this is consuming your time and causing you worry, go see a doctor to get an objective and professional assessment. Going from twitching to ALS is exactly the same logic leap as assuming you have lung cancer because you have a cough. The people here are not being dismissive of your concerns, they are just stating your symptoms do not equate ALS. A doctor can help you track down the cause for your symptoms.

Thanks for the reply and completely understand what you are saying. I plan to visit my doctor if things don't improve.

Thanks to everyone else who has responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back