Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Garfield
Hi, I've had 2 EMGs total, 1 on each side of my body that were 6 months apart. The neurologist told me he saw twitching in my calves on the EMG but that's it, no sharp waves or Fibrillations. Reflexes and strength are all nornal. He told me there's a 100% chance I don't have ALS. When I asked about developing it in the future he said "you have a better chance of being struck by lightning 3 times". The reason why I am posting this is, im curious if I'm just going to have to stop being a baby and accept I may twitch for the rest of my life? I've read the sticky and know it says twitching isn't diagnostic of anything. I've been through a million blood tests, EMG, EEG, MRI, and nothing has been found. It's crazy, I've been twitching for 6 months already.

Well, I am very glad you have accepted it's not ALS. The people here would not be able to tell you how long twitching may last for you, given you do not have ALS. I am sure you have come across the term "Benign Faciculation Syndrome" in your internet travels- you may wish to look into this as a possibility.

Thank you for coming to report your doctor saying 100% not ALS. That's excellent news, and congratulations.

Thanks for the fast response shiftkicker. The neurologist did say he believes it's bfs. The next step he wants to do is take a look at my spine with an MRI because my legs ache when standing for periods of time.

I'm very happy for you!!!! Thanks for letting us know and best wishes.

Help with EMG Results

Hi, I hope you all are well. Can one of the users knowledgeable in EMG results interpret this? I have attached 2 EMG results, one from the left side and one from the right side of my body. I have been having full body twitching (mostly in legs though), headaches, and fatigue. Both calves and forearms "feel" weak as well. I know feelings of weakness don't mean anything, its just hard to explain the symptoms.

Attachments

• Right Side.pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Left Side.pdf
    184.5 KB · Views: 193
Re: Help with EMG Results

For all practical purposes, the EMG is negative for motor neuron disease. The constellation of symptoms you report sounds more like an inflammatory or other systemic condition, if anything. I would follow up with a primary care physician if these symptoms impede your daily activities.

Mod note- Merged posts. Please continue posting on this thread. No need to start another.

Shiftkicker,

I apologize for opening multiple threads.

Lgelb,

I have been to a gp multiple times, he attributes all this to anxiety and stress. I've had tons of blood work, special Lyme testing, MRIs ( just got cervical spine scanned today), EMGs, EEG, etc and nothing has been found to explain the twitching and aches. I have had anxiety my entire life, I assume it's possible after a lifetime of anxiety this is what it leads to. My mind just goes to the worst scenario, I'm sorry if I'm becoming a pain in the ass. I know this isn't a health anxiety forum and I don't want to waste your time, so I won't post anymore until something that sounds like als happens, like severe weakness or hyper reflexes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back