12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
On to Christmas… 

I probably told this story before but worth repeating. Copied most of it from Word file with some editing.

Ann has a very generous heart and buys everyone in the family a little gift for Christmas… within few dollars

Off to the stores. I’ll be in one department and she’ll be in another. I get a call on my phone. Ann’s in housewares or where ever and wants me to come over to look at something. So, with my walker threading through the people I catch up with her.

Then… here it goes. She’s holding some item and asks…

Ann says, “What do you think of this for Sue.”
I say, “Yea, I like it”
Ann says,” I don’t know if she’ll like it.”
I say, “I’m sure she will.”
Ann says, “What do you think.”
I say, “I like it.”
Ann says, “I don’t know… she may have one.”
I say, “Well, she can re-gift it.”
Ann says, “Forget it… I’m not going to get it.”
I say, “I’m sure Sue would appreciate it. Hon, it’s getting late.”
Ann says, “I hate shopping with you – you’re always in a rush.”
I say, “You asked me to come with you”
Ann says, “I have no idea why I called you over here.”
I said, “I’m thinking the same thing.”
(That didn’t go over too well either.)

So, I’ve been thinking of what to say this year… I’m open to suggestions. :)

Last edited:
First, I'd have my fat A$$ in one of those scooters and run over as many people as I could on the way to meet Ann. I really wouldn't run over people but I sure wouldn't tire myself out trying to get to Ann through that nightmare of consumerism we call Christmas. You could be killed trying to grab that last Roku.

Al, what I would really do is beg out of that gig. Is there someone else with whom Ann enjoys shopping? I prefer to shop alone so I can't relate to dragging a man with me. My sister-in-law, now 75, will absolutely not take my brother shopping because he thinks she should be able to buy things, check out, then get home. Some people really enjoy the experience and that tends to prolong the agony for those of us who don't. I buy gift cards so people can re-gift them if they don't like what they're given. I usually buy a small token gift to go along with the card and wrap it up pretty. If the recipient is a drinker I'll buy a nice bottle of wine. My brother gets top shelf Bourbon and it's always his favorite gift. I don't buy trinkets that will be shelved or tossed so I can shop long before Christmas and have it over. From what you posted, it sounds like Ann is like my sister-in-law and actually enjoys the process. If that's not the case, suggest the gift cards. I've not met anyone who didn't like an Amazon gift card because they can buy anything they want.

Merry Christmas, Al

Al Kim nailed it in two - a scooter for shopping and don't go with Ann at all!

I come from a family of "shop til you drop" women, and from my earliest childhood memories I knew that I am NOT one of them. :)

Thanks Kim,

Ann does have a close friend who would go shopping with her at the drop of a hat. But... the two of them on a couple shopping trips gets a little out of hand $$$. :)

We do very little shopping on line... two internet security gurus have said there will be several big hacks this season. We had that experience a few years ago having to jump through all the hoops and time getting it straightened out and restored.

Ann has to look at at it, hold it, feel it, put it back on the shelf, take down, put it the cart, stare at it, about half way down another aisle stop, look at it again. Yikes! :)

I am direct buyer... I take it off the shelf or rack, look at it, yes or no, if yes... I put it in the basket as I'm rolling forward. Next. :)

Finally, us now being store shoppers maybe fewer stores will close.

Last edited:
maybe try these responses,

I like it, what do you think?
oh, maybe...
I like it
she might
ok

not the best way to get out of the store, but you won't be fighting. :)

Edited... I'm making a mess out of this posting an image thing.

Last edited:
Don't mean to come across as a Scrooge... Ann loves Christmas and being so thoughtful of each little gift being the "just right thing" for that person. I love Christmas too. She takes a full size legal pad that has two or more pages of notes. She has to now for another reason.

Anywhoo... here's a picture of last years tree. Shoot..forgot how to post an image. Let me work on this. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I use to shop with my wife all the time. We just enjoyed each others company. Now she goes with a friend or if I go I sit in the PWC outside the store and watch the people. She gets my company in the car (and being there shows that I still care) but in the store does her own thing. I can sit for hours watching people.

Pete, I'm going to try that. Our car seat is one of the best seats I can sit in with all the adjustments.
I can pester people on the phone, listen to Sirius XM and watch the people going in and out of the store. :)

I gave up on trying to post that picture I mentioned above. I'm not the computer jockey I used to be. :-(

Pete & Al,

I'm inspired by how much you both love your wives. Do either of you have a brother :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I come with gifts.

Attachments

• 1459699_10202213825454430_266327829_n.jpg
    1459699_10202213825454430_266327829_n.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 297
Kim, you could be Jamie Lee Curtis’s stunt double :)

I guess the stress of ALS made my hair turn gray and my face droop. That's a post-ALS picture. Here's one taken when I was 58 and another when I was 40. My hair stayed very light until I was in my 50s. When I chopped my hair off, before gaining weight, my neuro told me I reminded him of JLC.

Attachments

• 74979_4860758684179_1821310678_n.jpg
    74979_4860758684179_1821310678_n.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 278
  • Kim40-1.jpg
    Kim40-1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 267
Pete & Al,

I'm inspired by how much you both love your wives. Do either of you have a brother :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I come with gifts.

I'm reading this Christmas morning. Thanks for giving me a smile for Christmas, Kim. And you're still very lovely!! :)

Merry Christmas!

I agree with Phil!
Merry ho-ho all.

Angie

Merry Christmas, Phil. God bless you.

Angie, Hope you're staying warm.....I'm freezing and it's still in the 60s. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back