Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Hello,

I’m a 26YO male with no serious medical history outside of an unrelated congenital heart defect. I have no history of anxiety, don’t take any medications, and have never been unreasonably concerned about having a serious disease before (When I’ve been concerned, I’ve been diagnosed and treated, and no doctor has mentioned anxiety in any context).

I’m here due to some symptoms I’ve been noticing, and then googling. Of late, I’ve been noticing weird things occurring with my mouth - mainly swallowing liquids. I’ve had no real trouble with food/solids, but when drinking water/coffee/soda/whatever, I’ve had a constant feeling that the liquid is getting “stuck” near the back of my mouth, at the top of my throat. It’s not lower down behind my Adam’s apple, but rather up behind my tongue, at the top of my neck, for lack of better description. I’ve been noticing it for a few weeks, and it’s pretty concerning to me. I’ve only coughed/choked on liquids a few times total, and most of the time, it’s a feeling that the liquid is stuck there, and after another 1-2 swallows, it dissipates.

Since then, I’ve also noticed random body twitches on the legs, arms, and hands. Those wouldn’t concern me alone - the real concern is the mouth/swallowing issue I’ve been experiencing. Additionally, I’ve felt like I’ve had difficulty speaking/speaking hoarsely, but my significant other has not noticed Any major changes nor made any unsolicited Comments.

Basically, my concern is mostly about swallowing liquids, and more precisely, how swallowing symptoms manifest themselves in ALS patients. Is it possible that my issue is a neurological one, based on these symptoms? Should I be concerned about ALS, or is this not how symptoms manifest?

I mean no harm or inconvenience by this post. Just a concerned 26YO without anxiety trying to see if there’s cause for concern based on these symptoms and internet research. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Can provide more info/detail if needed to obtain responses.

Am looking for information as to onset symptoms and if liquid swallowing issues can be among the first to present.

Appreciate the time,

Concerned26

NYC, you're asking the wrong people the wrong question. Why jump to ALS and order of onset of symptoms, when you could be seeing a PCP or ENT about your primary concern? The possibilities range from tonsillitis to cancer to a virus to a stone to nothing, and way past that. We can't see your throat nor your swallowing abilities. What we can say with confidence is that ALS is very, very low on the possibilities list, and I can think of no cases where someone your age has presented with the dysphagia and generalized twitching that you describe.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

I appreciate your thoughts and advice and wish you well.

I suppose the reason I posted here was the fact that I kept seeing ALS linked with similar upper throat Dysphagia (as opposed to esophageal), especially considering this is only occurring with liquids.

Due to being led here over the weeks, and the fact that I’ve had trouble finding information about the order of onset, I thought that I’d be able to find info/thoughts to allay my fears before being able to see an ENT/PCP, aside from the general mathematical unlikelihood.

The liquid Dysphagia, combined with my general lack of anxiety (no doctors or friends have ever described me this way), lack of medications, and aforementioned internet searches have led to me to be quite concerned over the last couple of weeks. Apologies for taking up time/space if this is unwarranted, but was hoping for more details if anyone was able to provide them.

Thanks again,
C26

I would see an ENT. Could be something as simple as silent acid reflux. I wouldn't be worrying about ALS.

You aren't likely to get details from people dying or their caregivers except "it doesn't sound like ALS" and "see a doctor."

Best wishes.

Kim,

I’ll definitely be seeing an EMT. Thanks.

While I’m here, can anyone explain how Dysphagia presents itself in ALS patients for myself or those who find themselves here in the future? Does it sound anything like I’m experiencing or am I off base here?

Appreciate it.

Several really smart people have said you don't have ALS, so it would be a waste of our time to tell you more about ALS. Time is precious to us. Good luck investigating whatever that problem is.

Quick update/follow up.

Went to a local ENT who squeezed me in as a favor. He spent 20 seconds feeling my neck, 30 seconds sticking a tube up my nose and down past to my throat (laryngoscopy?) and told me he saw nothing. Didn’t mention GERD/reflux, or other causes.

After telling him my concerns (acknowledging the unlikelihood), he simply said I’m too young for such concerns, to relax, and to call back in 4 months if still experiencing issues. Although he’s probably right, it didn’t do much to address my fears.

Since, I’ve had trouble with excess saliva - it feels like I can’t get it out of my mouth (even spitting on people here and there), and have been consistently biting my tongue while In regular conversations at work - something I’ve never really experienced before.

Any suggestions or follow ups needed? Are those 2 new symptoms cause for concern?

Key Q: Also, would the laryngoscopy/feeling of neck/throat by a respected ENT have turned up signs of anything neurological (and therefore would lessen my fears) or are those tests irrelevant/independent of Neuro issues, such that an appointment with a neurologist/other ENT is necessary in my circumstances?

Thanks again for your time and assistance. This internet stranger is appreciative.

Please take your questions and go to your primary care doctor. She/he will probably do something to help you with health anxiety. If there is anything to correct, your doctor will work on that as well.

Once you bite your tongue, you tend to repeat it. Way back when I was in my doctoral program I really chomped down on my tongue eating pizza during a study session. I was anxious. Well, I continued to do it again and again. The more I focused on it, the more I bit it. That was over 30 years ago. Funny, one day I just stopped doing it and stopped thinking about it. Your mind will do very strange things to your body.

The ENT exam you had would show if your vocal cords were paralyzed or not working correctly. Please take our word for it and stop worrying about ALS.

Thanks.

Concerned, you wrote...

"I have no history of anxiety, don’t take any medications....... and no doctor has mentioned anxiety in any context."

Many people suffering from depression quickly say, "i am not depressed."

And those suffering from anxiety quickly say, "Anxiety is not my problem."

It's called denial.

The second sentence/first paragraph of your thread was... "I have no history of anxiety, don’t take any medications." As I wrote... "quickly say...".

Think about this... those who dwell on the past are depressed. Those who dwell on now and tomorrow... anxiety.

One of the first thing people suffering from either can do for themselves is too say out loud... "I am depressed." and or "I'm in anxiety."

Take a moment...

Hope your health issues are resolved soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back