Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
San Antonio
Hey guys, I recently found atrophy in my left leg that was contributing to my weakness and slight limp. The quad is smaller than the right one and it's decently noticeable. I haven't tripped or fallen or lost my balance in any way and have no fasics. No Babinski sign and no clonus, my reflexes are brisk but symmetrical( may be the anxiety) but there's atrophy and a limp confirmed by a doctor. now it's not like I've been very active. The past 3 months I've been significantly bed bound. I would be in bed for about 16 hours a day at the least, sometimes the whole 24 hours. I would have a habit of crossing my left leg (the affected one) over the right one while laying down but not like completely, more like my left ankle would rest on my right knee with the left knee pointing out to the left. It wouldn't contract my left quad when I was in this position. Anyways I do simple strength tests at home such as sticking out my leg and the person tries to push the shin down and I resist, everytime nobody could tell any difference from the two. But I have atrophy with a limp? If im weak enough for a limp then why can I resist just as good with the affected leg? I mean, I can kick out my left leg faster when I walk and I can correct the limp sorta, I don't know , I'm just looking for opinions on my situation and if this sounds like als.

Last edited:
Re: Do I have als?

Tavoh-

Go and see a doctor. This forum is not for you. You came here a few weeks ago and were advised to keep working with your doctor and that you didn't have ALS. Do not come here to conduct a survey about what people think you have. This is not a place to feed your health anxiety.

This may sound harsh to you. However, you are wasting your time and the time of the people here. I have no idea what is causing your symptoms, that is for a doctor to say. Please stop coming here to feed your anxiety about ALS.

I went to the doctor to check me up and he said that my walking gate is fine and that I'm not limping, I still feel like I'm sorta jolting when I walk though but I'm trying not to think about it. I have a weird feeling of not really slurring but messing up my speech so I asked him if als presents itself with messing up a word or phrase here and there, such as saying "neurologist" in a sentence and messing it up but saying it again and getting it right the second time but only the word by its self, he said that he would "assume" that it would more of general slur, like you slur almost everything. This is very confusing to me because I don't really get it. Do you just wake up with a slur one day? Wouldn't it be gradual like messing up your "s" here and there? He claimed he's never had a als patient which leads me to beilive that he's not very reliable, so could anyone clarify how bulbar really begins.

No ...You wake up and have a loss of function.

I woke up talking like I had just been to the dentist, and had a tooth pulled. The first friend I seen that day asked me if I had been to the dentist. That is how suddenly it comes on the progress’s from there, never improving.
Al

For me it started during a bad flu, so I thought that was why. Then flu went away and my voice was still nasal and speech altered. It wasn't gradual, it just happened.

thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll let him know for the next guy, god bless

Mod note: merged threads.

Tavoh, please don't start another thread when you already have an open one. It makes it very difficult for people to see your posting history and whole story.

I am glad your doctor had such good news for you and that they confirmed what the people here have told you- No ALS. That means you no longer need to be on this forum- which is excellent!

So just to clarify, it is not messing up a word here and there is overall slur with everything? Like if you speak perfectly aside from a phrase or two this is not bulbar. Sorry this is just for my own clarification

Tavoh. Kristina answered you. Read her response carefully.

I am closing this thread. Do not start another. You have been cleared by a doctor and you have received many responses from knowledgeable people here. You simply do not have ALS however much you think you do. I wish you well, and I sincerely hope you are able to move on from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back