Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BO
State
CE
City
Cochabamba
Hello, I hope everyone is having a good day. I've been to a neuro for the first time yesterday, I've been experiencig bodywide fasciculations for 8 months and I wanted to get a medical opinion.

After doing a very extensive clinical, the neuro told me: "you have pretty good strength, al muscle groups are 5/5 EXCEPT for your ring finger (4th dorsal interosseuos), the strength there is 4/5, but It's nothing to be concerned of, therefore, I won't perform an EMG" I know I should trust him, but I read stories in which at the ALS beggining stages the weakness can present in a very subtle way like this.

I want to be positive, I want to believe that my ring finger has always been like that (?). I mean, I returned to weightlifting 2 months ago and I have noticeable gained strength and muscle mass. I really thought that my clinical was going to be completely clean :-(

I'm starting to have fear an anxiety like in the beggining, maybe you people can give me some reassurance in this case?

May be someone can recall a case similar to mine that turned out to be nothing? If only you can let me know of only one similar case that turned out to be nothing it would mean A LOT to me.

I sincerely appreciate the time you take reading my story.

Best wishes,

Marcelo.

Lifting isn't going to strengthen your ring finger, Marcelo. You can start focused exercise if you want it stronger.

Your neuro is wise. I would wager I [as do many others] have multiple fingers that would be 4/5. There is nothing to worry about on that account.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie, I really hope it's nothing to be worried about.

Thanks a lot for your opinion, I really appreciate it!

Hola, Bolivia. I have good news for you. From all you have written in your posts since June, there is no reason to think about ALS. No reason at all.

People are asymetrical. Our bodies get weird problems all the time. Almost everything that happens to a person resolves itself with time.

My wife--a doctor for 20 years--once told me that "pathological" is an overused word. She said that if it's not affecting your life badly, it's not pathological, so don't worry about it. I think your ring finger will get better. Usually those kinds of problems are a pinched nerve that you never noticed before. My left thumb lost all feeling for five years. Now it's OK.

I don't have ALS. I started twitching when I was 28. Most of the time, it's just amusing to watch part of your body bounce around on its own. Sometimes, the twitching is caused by stress (even unknown, hidden stress). Also, my twitching can sometimes be very bothersome. Fortunately, there is a pill for that.

Strength 4/5? Most of the time, my whole body is between 2/5 and 4/5!

Years ago when I first got carpel tunnel in my right wrist, ring fingers on both hands tested 4/5. Dr said maybe from carpel or other issue, but likely not in my case since it was on both sides. Some fingers tend to get more use than others and are thus stronger.

Twitching, well like Mike I am a twitcher. The really weird ones are when Chest muscles or back muscles start jumping. My mom has benign fasiculation syndrome and her hands just in general have never been super strong. No ALS.

Hola Astugi and Lenore! Wow, I would've never imagined that you both guys were BFS'ers. For me it's a pretty annoying condition, may be with time I'll just think of it as an "amusing" part of my body like Astugi said.

It's pretty recomforting to read stories similar to mine that aren't related to something bad. I know that you guys had/have tough moments in your life, and the fact that you take a bit of your time to help people speaks volumes about your kindness.

Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,

Marcelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back