Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Aus
City
Aus
Hi firstly this group is amazing in the support and community for people affected by this horrible disease. I have learnt so much reading posts and intend to get involved and help in someway to find a cure.

My symptoms....please provide some advice I have read the read before posts but I have let my mind get the better of me.....

- 5 weeks ongoing muscle twitches mainly left triceps and forearm and foot sometimes occurs randomly over the body.

- Strange muscle pain it's hard to describe it occurs in random places (hands, quads, feet on both sides) it feels like a muscle cramp but there is no tightening of the muscles. It generally only lasts less then a minute.

- Percived weakness on the left side of the body arm, hand, leg, foot. Strength tests appear to be ok just feels very weak.

My main concern is that I have been reading about muscle cramps being theoriesed as a new early sign before the normal red flags.

Thank you for your valuable time.

Sorry to add to the above I feel I'm losing some coordination in my left hand / fingers

Mod note: Moved to DIHALS subforum. Please read the pinned post at the top of this subforum "READ BEFORE POSTING".

Your first step is to see a doctor if you feel your symptoms are affecting your activities. Please understand that the folks here can only guess, based on your perceived symptoms and subjective experience. Your reported symptoms bring about as much clarity as saying you have a cough and wondering if it's lung cancer. I am not sure where you are reading about cramps as an early indicator- cramps are such a common occurrence in healthy people that it really does not signify.

While I am sure your symptoms are causing you concern, I see nothing that says "ALS" immediately. A doctor or physiotherapist is a good first step in trying to work out the causes of your symptoms.

The article was written about one person whose case was so rare it warranted an article. The case differs from you in a number of ways. She was having cramps - you apparently are not. ALS cramps are just like normal cramps with knotted muscles. Her cramps were localized. There was also comment about difficulty walking so it was unclear to me how they deduced she did not have weakness along with the cramps.

As Fiona says visit your doctor to address your concerns

Last edited:
Hi All just returned from my neurologist appointment he did a NCS and EMG in my left calf, left hand, triceps and bicep all were results were normal. He suggested that I was experiencing BFS likely worsened by stress and anxiety. He mentioned that he conducts 800+ tests per year and diagnosis 8-10 cases of ALS.

Out interest I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

- He mentioned that if you have ALS that the NCS & EMG will pick up abnormalities regardless of which muscle or side of the body is tested. He said someone with ALS will have fascinations on the EMG show all over the body. Is this consistent with everyone's understanding?

FYI - I have made a donation to the MND research institute because we need Some sort of treatment for this dieseae and will be donating to this site.

Your neurologist did good. And yes, the EMG will pick up any abnormalities. Considering everything you've written and the EMG result, you're good to go. Enjoy a long life.

Thanks Mike.

Sorry just to clarify my understanding an EMG anywhere on the body will detect ALS regardless of the area affected?

Thanks Mike.

Sorry just to clarify my understanding an EMG anywhere on the body will detect ALS regardless of the area affected?

Yes.

Bye bye now!

Thank you all god bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back