Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
This week my wife's peg tube was replaced with a button, all went very well. But the instructions talk about checking the water amount in the balloon weekly. So, my question is how frequently does everyone actually do this test?

Thanks,
Larry

Can anyone help?

I can't tell you if this is the correct thing to do, but my husband has had the button PEG tube for 2 years and we have never checked the amount of water in the balloon and have not had any problems.

Sharon

Hi Larry,

My husband has had a mic key for several years. We were never told to check the water in the balloon. We always watch the button and when it gets too loose, we get it changed.

We used to go to the hospital every time it needed replaced. It was an all day ordeal. Then, I watched a couple of youtube videos on how to replace the mic key. Last time, I replaced the tube myself. It was done in a few minutes. It depends on your comfort level, whether you want to do it yourself, but it can be done.

I should add that you can get a replacement kit for the mic key from whoever supplies your nutrition. You just need a prescription.

Another tip: We always tape the button down at bed time, because the sheets can rub against it and cause it to become loose.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks so much for the feedback. I read the instructions that came with the button and it says check the amount of fluid weekly. Use the small syringe to withdraw fluid while holding the button in place. Correct amount is 5 ml to 10 ml.

At this time the process seems scary to me. And I called the Dr. office to find out how much fluid was using originally during the procedure. After 3 days I finally got a call back, 5 ml minimum, 6 ml maximum.

Larry, we got the official word from the surgeon we saw yesterday who changed Frank's Mic Key PEG tube. She said to check the balloon once a month and it should have a maximum of 6 cc of water.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back