Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Long straws have been a pain--but I recently found the Fleximug. It's a stainless steal cup with a top that screws on security. It has a port on top that the straw, which is tubing run through a segmented sleeve, to plug into. Without the straw, the cup does not leak and can be carried in a bag. The straws come in a variety of lengths, and there is an optional stand that you can sit on the floor next to the bed to hold the mug.

I make a large bag to hang on the side of Matt's chair. The urine bag goes into a plastic bag and then into the larger one. The mug goes into the other side of the bag (but outside of the plastic one). The 36 inch straw reaches his face and can be positioned any way we want--and it stays there. I have two mugs. The second is filled and ready to go, and when we are on the road I just snap the straw off the empty and onto the backup.

Google Fleximug. It's one of the best things I've found on my own so far.

Oh, almost forgot. It was designed for Quads, and the straw port is vented so sucking through a 36 inch straw is not hard.

Becky

Becky how's the trip going? How's Matt? Did he git a muley or elk?

I second the fleximug recommendation. It is one of the best things we have found.

We had been searching for a while with no luck of finding a way to mount a cupholder to the wheelchair.

The fleximug guys were at the 2016 Abilities Expo outside Chicago. I believe it was their product launch. We purchased one at the Expo and got a second one a few months later.

I have the water bottle holder that is mounted to the back of the wheelchair that the guys mounted at the Expo.

It is so nice to be able to drink my beer and not have to have anybody hold it or give me a sip every time I need one.

Matt

This Item really does look great, but like most of us we are On a pretty limited budget. Has anyone come across anything similar that is more affordable?

Tom,

You can pair an adaptive (long, thick) straw with a water bottle or coffee thermos -- anything with an opening that is covered otherwise. Then you could use an ordinary cup holder -- there is usually a possible mounting point on the chair -- or put it in a nylon bag, snug it and tie/knot the bag to the chair. To avoid bounciness when you're on the move, it can be positioned so your leg or hip holds it in place.

With any system, the usual caution that power chairs and spills into the controller don't mix, applies.

Tom, as a cheaper alternative, google "O-Sip! Silicone Straw Lids" - I purchased ours on Amazon, and got the XL size that stretches to fit large thermal mugs, etc. Although this is just a lid, I find they work on a variety of different sized cups & mugs, and the straw opening is small so the straw fits pretty snugly (so if the cup is knocked over there is not much leakage unless the cup/mug is left on the floor for awhile). You can go to Wal-Mt or Target, etc. and browse thru their selection of lidded "sippy mugs" and purchase an inexpensive one just for the long, bendable straw. Then find a generic cup holder that works for you. This is what we have done. If you have limited use of your hands or lack finger strength and dexterity then you will need someone else to apply these stretchy lids.

I agree that the fleximug is great but I find the price quite high, especially the optional components (table stand, etc.). When my husband can no longer grasp any kind of mug or cup, I may purchase the Fleximug, but Grrrrrr at the price!

I saw this post and ordered this for my sister. She is unable to suck hard enough with the long straw to easily drink. If you have a hard time with a regular straw this may not work for you. Just thought I would mention our findings. I was so hoping this would work for us!

Lisa

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to bite the bullet and get the flexi-mug. There were some great ideas, but I think for my situation the high dollar job is the best solution. Of course it did not hurt that a friend gave me a gift card for Amazon.

Thanks again, good luck and God bless all of you today.

Tom

Tom,
I got one, too. I'm always carrying a heavy bottle of water and this looks like it's pretty much spill proof.

The fleximug arrived yesterday (only took a little over three weeks) it is a great item, keeps my water cold all day long. It does take a fair amount of suction to be able to drink from this thing, as was noted by a previous poster, if you have difficulty with a regular straw, the fleximug will be a problem for you.

Thanks again for all your help and God bless,

Tom

I've been using mine for about two weeks. The pros are that it's nearly impossible to spill anything and the straw is long enough to drink while I'm driving! The cons are it does take decent suction ability to drink and it really doesn't hold that much liquid. I took it to cards last Sunday and I was done with my water in about 30 minutes. I could have used double the amount it holds but I understand that might make the cup too heavy, which was one of my complaints about my other water holder.

Perhaps I should switch from water to Guinness or Bourbon!

I think I'll take a look at OSlip lids because I have some nice water containers that I can still manage.

Kim, maybe you will have to resort to two sippy cups - one for the alcoholic beverage of your choice and one for a water chaser! sounds like a good idea to me (unless you are driving). CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back