Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, didn't want my reply above to trip your trigger. :)

Like I wrote above... "changes sometime bring difference." A lot of the old members
found difference and left. And... new things some people didn't like.

It's not the number of sub-forums... it's the "drift" the cycle of new members have the Forum to. Maybe this discussion will fire up the "Off Topic" sub-forum again. It's working here.

Anyway... "Nothing stays the same."

And another I try to live by now... "Improvise, adapt and accept." :)

Last edited:
For the most part that's what I was attempting to say. That the changeover may have had some not so good things about it. So unfortunately some longtime members have disappeared. I agree "everything changes", but I was just trying to offer my opinion that maybe not all change is good. Example...losing longtime members. I certainly didn't see where it was "arguing" or "name calling"...not enough energy to mess with that stuff. And after nine years and five months since I have joined this site I have seen many, many people come and go and have never once argued within a discussion of people stating their opinions.

Kevinw, I have only been reading here 1 1/2 years. But it was inactive and I left. I for one thank you for jump starting the PLS section of this forum. I hope you and others continue to post and make this a great forum for people to educate themselves and find hope with others dealing with the same problems.

Kevin, there have been strong disagreements and to a lesser degree... arguments in the past.

But... some forgot this is a Forum.

Supposedly for discussion, opinion, differing opinion and the willingness to challenge when someone posts something that may be wrong or even just made up.

But, most important... be a support dialog for many in the other sub-forums.

There were a few who didn't like what was posted and even asked the Moderators that person be banned. The moderators often suggested they use the "Ignore" option on the User CP.

I don't know what happened but if you look at the Newly Diagnosed sub-forum... since the first of the year there are 5 pages of newly diagnosed members and new care givers. Hope more of them become contributors. Maybe Facebook and such has taken away form the Forum. Whatever...

There's hope... I believe a lot of trends in life are like a pendulum.

Weight has been heavy on my mind for past 6 months! Excuse the pun.So an interesting topic. Weight gain been a hallmark for me. Previously normal weight, I am now a stone heavier and that's eating as before. I have been told to eat calorie controlled diet, i asked one of my neuros about intermittent fasting ( he is a Clinical Research Scientist) he said there is some interesting research out there. But we agreed for me no go..... i just felt worse after trying for a month. I feel my best after eating and feel much stronger. It's as though refuelled I can cope better. So I am content to keep an eye not to gain anymore, esp now I have a power wheelchair. It is almost impossible to lose the weight, but if I can keep stable, then great. The barometer for me is the wellbeing factor. Life is tough enough with all this going on!

The less you can do... the fewer calories you burn. And... as muscles diminish from lack of activity you lose weight. When a body builder or weight lifter retires from competition they lose weight then they fight the Battle of the Bulge. :) So... who can figure it out? :)

"Nothing stays the same."

Don't donate or give away any of your clothes. What doesn't fit now... may fit again later. Progression is unpredictable. I went from 230 down to 188. But... my chubbies (some call them "Love Handles". Well... they used to be) are drifting down and it seems I have to tug harder on my belt. :) Figure that!

I've yoyo'ed 20 to 30 lbs overweight for years. My weight is stable right now, but I am much softer around the middle. My neurologist says to maintain weight. Would love to lose some just so that I don't have as much to carry around. My excuse is that I'm only 5 feet tall so there is not much margin for error in my daily calories.

As for the inactive subforum...I think most of us have just migrated to the General ALS discussions. Also there are a couple of Facebook groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back