Is it possible that my neurologist missed ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andruel

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Hi,

I'm a 19 year old male and I noticed a week or two ago that I have asymmetry in my neck muscles which is accompanied by the strange feeling in the right side of my neck/throat that it isn't doing it's part in holding up the weight of my head.

I went to a neurologist to get examined.

He examined my body, arms, legs, tongue, reflexes, what have you, and said that he found nothing of clinical significance.

He glanced at my neck though I feel like he wasn't thorough enough

I'm very very concerned about this feeling in my neck which has still yet to subside.

I am worried that he missed ALS, do any of you think that that is a strong possibility?

Thanks,

Andrew

You're second guessing a medical doctor at 19?

Relax.

The body, muscles, nervous system, brains, and chemistry of the body are highly interconnected. The doc knows how it works. She can examine dozens of variables by asking you to make a simple but specific movement.

I agree with Mike. A Neurologist has unspoken observations during an exam. Let's say just as one small example.... he/she asks you make a close fist and open it as fast as you can. But... throughout the entire exam he/she will observe how you use that hand, leg, neck or whatever to do other things which I'll leave unspoken. :)

Had to put an "Ooops" in the reason for editing.... Andiral and Andruel are nearly identical. Hmmm... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back