Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Odon
I've had small twitches all over for a few months now but as of late have seemed to increase a little. I still wasn't worried about it cause it was all over kinda like they say BFS is. But I'm worried now cause today my right arm has been stiff and twitchy with no real obvious cause. And my left arm may be feeling odd too but I really can't tell. Does this sound like it could be ALS or am I worrying over nothing? I am 24 and I do stress a lot but I was hoping someone here could give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

Pats,
Unless there is something you could do before that you can't now, twitching as you describe is generally no cause for concern. You might start a stretching regimen.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you! It just feels weird in my right arm and worries me. I guess the muscles feel fatigued more than weak is a better way to describe it.

"Feeling" doesn't count toward ALS. "Failing" to move a muscle, with no feeling involved, would concern me.

So basically if I'm not having weakness I shouldn't worry?

Correct. That's the "failing, not feeling" thing.

If I don't have weakness but my muscles feel like they are burning or if I have random sharp pains is that a sign or am I worrying myself for nothing? Also by the time cramping and pain starts has weakness usually set in already?

Weakness, cramping and pain are not necessarily connected in some dire way. For most 20-30-somethings, if you cramp, look at diet, electrolytes, stress, exercise, hydration. If you have muscle pain without trauma, look at overuse injuries (like with weekend warriors) and a stretching regimen. If you have weakness -- defined as being unable to do things you were recently able to do, reproducible in a way that other people can see them, see a doctor.

Of course, pain that is consistent and localized, or persistent and in a place that is new to you, should be explored. But pain that comes and goes, worries more than impedes you and increases when you think about it, is less likely to be serious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back