Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Florida
City
St. Petersburg
I tried to attach this to my old post but it was closed, i have been scared out of my wits for past few months about having als. my gp refer me to ohsu als/perpheral neuropathy dr karam. He is in charge of the dept there,great credential and a very nice guy but drs are not really good at explaining test results i was wondering if someone could look at this and explain how he came to his conclusion. Thank you for your effort and time

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
Oh had MRI that show bilateral moderate stenosis at l4-l5 and l5-s1 he told me this where the twitches are from

Last edited:
3 pages back is my original post, i was hoping someone who is knowledgeable about emg would answer. I'm confused as these two dr have come up with totallly different emg, i dont want to go down that rabbit hole with worrying about als.

It is not unusual to have minor changes in an emg from test to test. As it says in the conclusion still zero evidence of ALS and consistent with a back issue. As your doctor informed you your mri seems to support this and yes it can cause twitching. You have consistently had no acute denervation as seen in ALS

Congratulations and good luck

Thank you , my first neurologist equipment seemed so antiquated compared to this one at ohsu, i will need a new neurologist at my home in florida and will follow up after the back is taken caren of with someone at usf which has a good reputation in neurology. Thanks again for your consideration

It is not unusual to have minor changes in an emg from test to test. As it says in the conclusion still zero evidence of ALS and consistent with a back issue. As your doctor informed you your mri seems to support this and yes it can cause twitching. You have consistently had no acute denervation as seen in ALS

Congratulations and good luck

i was doing okay until recently having some twitches in my upper back which are far above the lumbar area that i have the compression i know my muscles at rest show no activity during the emg. but the volutional(may be spelling it wrong shows muap that are not right, could someone explain it to me, when i was at the neurologist it was like you don't have als and i didn't get to ask nor did i know at the time about the abnormal part of the test. thank you for any help as i'm sure you all have better things to do

The MUPs are completely consistent with a back issue as I told you. What was unclear in the post I made ? Twitches are meaningless

Hi Nikki, i guess that is what i was wondering why those muaps were the way they were and those numbers, i would of liked to ask him but drs kind of dismiss those kind of questions. i really don't want to be a pain, like i said i consult worried well for hiv for a local clinic so i know it can be trying. i really am trying to figure out those numbers and their meaning. thank you for being so nice .

Nikki just a short note if I didn't make myself clear, i really did appreciate you taking the time to explain all this to me and calm me down i know it takes dedication on your part. So thank you very much

Becazican...never be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand. I go to the ALS clinic at OHSU and the doctors have always been more than willing to answer any of my questions.

Hi thanks for the reply unfortunately I'm back on the east coast. I guess I could call but the dr seems very intimidating, most effect me that way. I understood not having any acute Denervation on the emg. But this is the first that showed those muaps and how did he decide it was the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back