Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Nsw
City
Sydney
Dear community
Firstly I would like to share my love with those effected by this disease.
I was very young and lost a grandfather to the disease and have only through more research recently understood more about motor neuron.

Im waiting for an appointment with a neurologist but I guess anxiety has got the better of me in posting this question about myself for your feedback.

I am an otherwise well 35 year old male.
For about 12 months I have had an unusual feeling on one side of throat. It is hard to describe but feels foreign in that it fatigues if I talk too long at work, slower swallowing on just one side (no swallowing issues that have resulted in choking) and on the same side my steinocloidal muscle is diminished. By diminished I mean it doesn't protude if examined but I am not weak, I could still use my neck to turn either way against sufficient resistance.

I have inspected my tounge (yes I know this is way too couple for me to really understand). Basically at rest, my tounge sits lop sided and slightly smaller on the lower side. It collapses toward the effected right side. I have watched my swallow as best as one could in a mirror and on swallow the lop sided mechanics also occur. I do know though that examination is done so on a protruded tounge for which mine seems to not deviate to my eye.

Speech and voice seem OK, but fatigues easy on the effected side

I appreciate this may not be easy to provide definitive response via the Internet but seek your thoughts on whether this is symptoms one may expect? I didn't quite understand whether bulbar symptoms present bilaterally or could manifest such as mine on the one side.

I have fasics throughout my body, predominantly on right arm but I could see that this be stress or physical related.

I did play a lot of football when young and had an injury on this side of my neck previously which may offer explanation to the muscle matter but really I wasn't sure.

Any feedback or comment welcomed. Thanks for reading.

Stay strong to all

Hi mate, nothing like bulbar onset I'm happy to report.
Get to your GP, and ask for an ENT referral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back