Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wyoming
City
Torrington
I have been informed that my muscle fatigue feeling feelings in my jaw and tongue that occur daily for the last month is not a sign of als. I have some medical friends. But when I was researching this I have read numerous pages of als causing muscle fatigue in jaw and tongue along with any other muscle as the muscle begins to not work correctly due to the nerve dying. My tongue and jaw get more fatigued while talking and chewing. So my question is can muscle fatigue that is this constant be a sign of bulbar? Or is it something else. I am asking due to the conflict of some saying it's not possible and others stating you can feel muscle fatigue in als. Thanks in advance.

no your medical friends are right :)

Thank you for your response. So you are saying the constant tongue fatigue daily is in no way associated with bulbar als?

correct it is not even remotely a bulbar onset early symptom - please see a doctor

Ok thank you. I plan on seeing one soon. Will take several weeks to be seen. Any idea what course I should take? My tongue and jaw are driving me crazy. I can't believe how fatigued they get and does it every day. Ok in morning for an hour then fatigued the rest of the day. Been this way for over a month. Glad to hear you don't think it's als. Just not sure what could cause this. Thank you so much for your responses.

We can't speculate what it might be. Your GP will help you figure it out. My recommendation is go to your GP.

Thank you both for the reassurance that it is not als and clearing up my questions.

Sigh. I made the mistake of reading the bulbar questions. And several people with actual als said they had fatigued jaw and what not. So I'm back at square one. Thanks for your responses though. I really do appreciate it.

honey you are doing this to yourself.
my husband died of bulbar onset ALS and I have been through this with many PALS.
what you describe is NOT how ALS starts - but unless you will go to a doctor and start being checked over you can scare yourself all you like. we truly sympathise, but you have to go to a doctor

I'm sorry for your loss. I kind of just discovered that part of the reason I was getting fatigued was due to unknowingly tensing my throat. I just realized that last night. Apparently have been doing it for awhile. Then I let my mind wander and think why was I doing this and of course the first thing is well maybe my body is trying to compensate for something that isn't working properly. Which again I read on the forums how the body tries to do that in als. The mind is very powerful. I also didn't mention because it scares me. I seem to have to reinitiate a swallow very frequently. Like I start to and then nothing. So I try again and it works. So if these are signs please let me know. I won't ask anymore questions or take up your time. Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me as time is valuable to people who don't have its luxury anymore.

I have no idea what more could be replied to this Thread.

You asked another question...

(" So if these are signs please let me know.")

You have heard from the best, the most knowledgeable and those with first hand experience.

No these are not signs.

Please don't reply here again until you have been examined by a doctor, then you can let us know what she/he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back