Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
BO
State
CE
City
Cochabamba
Hello everyone, I'm a 29 yo male and I would be very grateful if anyone can share their experience and knowledge since I'm having symptons that are worrying me the last days.

I've read all the wonderful stickies, I don't want to waste anyone's time writing another classic BFS story. But from what I read on this forum, something has stuck deep in my mind: "it's about failing, not feeling".

Well, my left pinky finger is failing to move from side to side (Wartenberg Sign), and aditionally, I've been experiencing bodywide twitches (from head to toe), for the last 4 months.

Before experiencing this weakness, I was stupidly self testing (like most twitchers do) my pinch strenght on that finger for about half an hour. 2 hours later when arriving home I realized I couldn´t actively bring the pinky against the other fingers, no matter how hard I tried it was just impossible. I tried not to freak out, the most logical explanation was that I injured myself doing those strenght tests.

Well, more than 48 hours later, my finger has showed really minor improvement, I don't feel pain, but my finger still is clearly weak. I don't have any other weakness I can tell beside the finger one, both hands have full dexerety and grip strenght, as well as my arms and the rest of my body.

I will visit a neuro the next week, until that, I kindly request you to please answer this questions:

- How common is ALS to start exclusively with Waternberg sign?

- How many cases can you recall that started with this specific type of weakness?

- In your opinion, how likely is that the weakness I'm experiencing is due to trauma/injury caused by the strenght tests?

I'm really grateful in advance for the time you take reading my story.

Best wishes,

Marcelo.

Last edited:
Hi Marcelo-

It sounds remarkably like you pinched a nerve when doing your strength tests. I think you have nothing to worry about. I am sure your neurologist will tell you the same. Please post after your neurologist appointment to let us know what they say.

best wishes

Thanks a lot for your opinion! I'll definitely update my situation.

All the best.

My husbands ALS started in his right pinky it moved away from the other fingers then the area between his fore finger and thumb collapsed. We went through All yet he test and recieved our diagnose in August 2016. He now has twitches all over. We found occupational therapy helped. I bought all the things they used ( we couldn't afford 150.00 a week). He does them nightly the pinky ha moved back but weakness is still there. It was simple things like tongs to move object from one place to another hooking and unhooking paper clips. If you go to O/T you will see what I mean he now only checks in once a month

I'm so sorry for your husband's diagnose Benals, I wish you both strength and courage in this difficult time.

If you don't mind I'd like to ask some questions regarding your husband's inital symptoms, considering my pinky finger is showing very little improvement:

- Could he move the finger up and down?
- How much time passed til the atrophy in his thumb became evident?
- Did any other symptom accompained the weakness in his pinky finger?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best wishes,

Marcelo.

Marcelo,

Please see a doctor. It sounds like you injured your finger. Years ago I did something similar to my thumb using strength training balls for golf. I overdid it and could hardly move my thumb. After a month or so, it got better. Stop testing yourself and see a doctor.

The people on here cannot diagnose you and I think it's harmful to compare yourself to someone else who has been diagnosed with ALS.....for your sake.

He could move the finger up and down it was about a month before the hand started to cave in They thought he had Spinal Stenosis but an MRI ruled that out. One prominent sign was over reactive reflexes when they tapped the knee his leg almost hit the doctor in the head. He has the twitches and now where he had them he has cramps and burning This is all since August 2016. Hope this helps. I will be here if you have anymore questions

You are right Kim, I'll see a doctor as soon as possible. Thanks for your answer.

And thank you for taking your time to answer Benal , I really apreciate it.

Marcelo,
I know that you're thinking "information is power" in this situation. As Kim said, every case is different, And it still maybe that you've damaged the nerve.
Go see your doctor, my friend!

Angie

Hi Angie! Thanks a lot for your kind words. At the end it seems it was an injury.

I'm happy to update that my finger is almost back to normal. If the doctor gives me the clear I swear I'll never ever selftest again. I'll post how the appointment goes, until that I'd like to thank all the wonderful people that read my story. I have nothing but admiration for all the members of this forum.

I wish you the best.

Marcelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back