Ran across this, thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting.....BUT by the time they get around to re-researching and scrutinizing this study we will be toast. I guess that is "glass half empty" mentality, but it is realistic.

Hope you are doing OK Brad, I haven't heard much from you lately.

Interesting. This is from an open access publication and is not peer reviewed. It is also anecdotal rather than a controlled study. I wonder if he responded privately to Dr B's request?

Last edited:
I am doing good. Thanks for asking Mark. Just been busy with life. Got to sell the Vette but got a buddy that wants it, so that's cool. How goes it with you?

I am doing good. Thanks for asking Mark. Just been busy with life. Got to sell the Vette but got a buddy that wants it, so that's cool. How goes it with you?

I am busy with life as well. Seems like I have a lotta bad days. The curse is finally kicken my a$$ and I hate how it defines me.

I am getting my Corvette ready to sell cuz it real hard for me to get in and out of it. I can drive it fine once I get in, but it is time to start selling off my toys. I picked up a 1927 Model T Roadster and have been puttering around an redoing a lot on it. I will prolly just sell it at summers end.

Real glad to hear you are still hangin!

This line of thought peaked in the 90s and continues today. I believe there is a subgroup of patients with a variety of CNS disorders (including ALS) that have a greater ratio of immune-mediated symptoms than others, possibly in part because of environmental exposure.

The "devilish detail" is identifying that subgroup, and individualizing treatment when an exacerbating organism is elusive. Beware of "one size fits all" protocols that can do more harm than good, not to mention some of the, well, cults that have grown up around the antifungal/antibacterial paradigm. Moreover, in the vast majority of cases, a complete cure or remission is not achievable at this point.

In any case, the strongest possible general health is also important in immune-mediated illness.

Best,
Laurie

I am busy with life as well. Seems like I have a lotta bad days. The curse is finally kicken my a$$ and I hate how it defines me.

I am getting my Corvette ready to sell cuz it real hard for me to get in and out of it. I can drive it fine once I get in, but it is time to start selling off my toys. I picked up a 1927 Model T Roadster and have been puttering around an redoing a lot on it. I will prolly just sell it at summers end.

Real glad to hear you are still hangin!

I am so jealous. But congratulations and I am glad to hear you are still playing with some toys. Take care and keep fighting!

As an ex-academic librarian who spent much of my professional time at the end of my career working on scholarly publishing issues, I have to take issue with NikkiJ’s comment that open access journals are not peer reviewed. This is simply not so. There are many highly ranked open access journals with rigorous peer review, and others where the peer review is poor. The same can be said of many journals that charge for subscriptions—some of them will publish anything. Open access is simply a model for funding scholarly publishing, designed to wrest some of the power from the monopolistic scientific publishing industry (Elsevier, Springer etc), and make the research we pay for with our taxes freely available to all. The only way to judge whether a journal is “good” or not is through examining the editorial board, its citation rate and other factors.

That said, this article seems to have no peer review behind it and the publishing outlet looks pretty dodgy, but this has nothing to do with its being "open access."

Climbing off my hobby horse, now.

Ed

I misspoke when I said open access means not peer reviewed but I looked into the peer review ( or lack thereof) of this particular outlet and found there was none so we agree on the assessment of this particular outlet. I should not have tarred all open access with the same brush and will edit the original comment. Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back