Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
VA
City
Leesburg
We are searching for a comfortable bed for my husband who has ALS. He is 6'4" and weighs approx. 260 lbs. Can anyone recommend a brand which will provide him a firm mattress with the customary adjustable head and foot options? We tried a loaner hospital bed, but he sank into the middle and was unable to safely get up and out of it. We welcome all suggestions! Thank you.

We have a temperpedic split king which I love. The head and feet go up, it has the massage function which helps loosen crap in my lungs. I have the firmest mattress they make. It was very pricey but worth it.

We are using a Morpheous mattress that has a pump and changes pressure to keep pressure sore at bay. We use it on our split king single bed and BJ has found it to be great, he is 6'1 and 240 lb.
Hugs Gem

Thank you for your response. We will look into this option.
This was our first post and we appreciate the supportive community!

Not sure exactly what you had, Pam, but a hospital bed with only elevation/head/foot adjustment isn't as good as one that can tilt all the way forward (reverse Trendelenburg) both for not sinking when he can still move on his own, and for in-bed urinal use. Used with a partial tilt, it can also help with breathing. It should also have the "chair" positions.

My caution for going the "comfort foam" route is that the bed may not have all the adjustment you want later for the above, using the Hoyer, etc. But if you buy a hospital bed frame that does what you need from a positioning standpoint, it's easy to switch out mattresses, use overlays, etc.

Last edited:
Right now I have a regular queen-size adjustable bed. I bought it when working on the computer for hours each day caused neck pain and, honestly, I liked to watch TV in bed. When I bought it (about 7 years ago) I found that it helped acid reflux and my neck. I also bought a very good, foam mattress. I tried various beds such as Sleep Number, Temperpedic, a mattress from Germany, and many others that had guarantees. They were either to smelly, too hot, or too hard to move around in. This was all before ALS. I settled on a high-quality rubber mattress, covered in organic cotton and wool with a comfy mattress topper. This has served me well.

I'm looking ahead and believe this bed is not a long-term solution for ALS. My bed has more than the standard features in an adjustable bed but it doesn't make sense if I'm confined to it most of the time.

I've looked at all the threads on beds, asked those who have done lots of research, and came to the conclusion that 1. I'll need a hospital bed that has electric and remote control raising/lowering (elevation for my care and for transfers), sitting position, bend at knees position, reverse trendelenburg, and will accommodate my mattress of choice. I've still not made a choice on the mattress. I originally thought about the Dolphin mattress but it is VERY expensive and I can't get to a place to smell it to see if I can tolerate the odor. I plan on calling the company before I rule it out. The other type of mattress I'm considering is an alternating air mattress. There are dozens of them and I'm trying to find good quality ones.

Regarding your choice, there are longer beds available so with someone that tall and big, I would look at those options. I know the choices are overwhelming but I consider a bed one of the most important "tools" in the ALS shed. I've always wondered why people skimp on beds when they spend 1/3 of their lives in one. I would rather have a good bed and drive a junk car if I had to make a choice.

Also, as a CALS, you need to have a bed that gives you good support and good rest, too. Never underestimate the importance of taking care of yourself. It will help you and your PALS.

Oh, yes, Kim, thanks for pointing out that someone 6'4" will need an 84" bed.

We purchased a "Classic Brands" 12" thick, gel-infused memory foam bed in medium firm after doing much research. I also purchased an adjustable frame for the mattress on Amazon. My husband says this mattress is the most comfortable mattress he has ever slept on, and I agree. It is not hot nor does it feel like "sinking sand" like the famous memory foam brand. This mattress really does "spring back" very quickly and it is supportive and cushiony at the same time. At the time of our purchase, Classic Brands sold their mattress independently, but now it looks like they are selling through retailers like Macy's, Amazon, etc. If you look them up on Amazon you will see there are a lot of excellent reviews. One caveat to mention though, is that since foam mattresses do not have the firmer spring edges/no springs, the sides of the bed are not as supportive as innerspring mattresses. As my husbands trunk strength has decreased, this (less support on the mattress edge) has become quite apparent to us & is something I did not think of beforehand. Good luck!

My husband and I thank everyone who answered our questions and shared their expertise. Your info has helped us define the requirements and given us direction. We are new to this forum and hope to be of others as we travel the ALS road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back