Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Calgary
My story starts a month ago when I noticed my hand started to get really stiff and weak and I didn't know what was up. I went to the hospital a couple times and eventually they sent me to a Neurologist and ordered an EMG. When I got to the Neurologist he gave me a full exam and told me Neurologiclly was I was 100% fine and told me I had too much anxiety and canceled my EMG. I didn't think this was right because something is clearly wrong and after that things kept progressing. One month later my Right hand and arm is very weak, I'm starting to have trouble breathing, my left arm is weak and my left foot is starting to get weak. Do you think ALS would spread this fast? I can still use Right hand that has the initial weakness but it's just harder to write with Pen or use fork. He told me I had normal Reflexes and I can still pass Strength Test with hand and arm it's just getting weaker. I'm only 18 and this is driving me crazy and the weakness is starting to scare me to death. The only atrophy I have is in my Right wrist and I have Muscle Twitches everywhere. Does anyone know what else this could be? The hospitals don't want to listen to me and tell I'm fine. I feel like I'm just doomed to die....

First of all, you need to treat your anxiety. Then make sure you are well hydrated, not drinking caffeine, eating a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep. If you do these things and still experience troubles then go back to the doctor.

No ALS....The hospital is right... go to your GP and seek help, don't tell him your diagnosis, let him do his job.
Al

Very scared please if anyone has any input

Hello I'm posting here because for the last month and bit I've been having major issues and extremely afraid I have ALS. I'm 18 years old and never had anything like this happen to me. It started on April 2nd when my hand started to get weak and stiff. When this happened I went to hospital they sent me to a a neurologist and he told me there's nothing wrong. Now over a month later I fee then weakness in both of my hands,both legs, both feet and my head. I have trouble swallowing; shortness of breath, neck pain, twitches everywhere, my hand hasn't atrophied but my forearm and wrist have gotten a bit smaller on my right arm. I've been to hospital many times and they don't think anything is wrong and it's just in my head but it's ruining my life. Would ALS Spread this fast? From what I can read it's pretty weird for it to spread that fast everywhere. I can still pass strength test everywhere but the weakness is with stuff like cups and small things which is weird. I also am negative for the Babinski test/Hoffmann test and my Reflexes normal. I also got my blood tested and my CK is at a very good level. If anything has any ideas please I would love to hear them
I don't wanna deal with this anymore I'm terrified.

Mod note- merged thread. Please continue posting in your first thread here. It helps members see your posting history all in one place.

Unfortunately, the members here are not able to help you with a diagnosis. They are absolute experts on MND, but you are not suffering with that. Keep working with your doctor.

But what else would be causing all this so fast
It's extremely terryifing

Lennoxleader, as you wrote, "But what else would be causing all this so fast."

Answer... you!

Please take the advice given you above by very knowledgeable members and realize you are in denial concerning anxiety. It is a treatable disorder. Addressing that first will be the first step to enjoying the rest of your life. Give a try. What I'd give to be 18 again.

Think about it. Best wishes.

Would ALS happen in all parts of body this fast? I thought with ALS in completely crippled one part of the body before moving on. My symptoms started on April 2nd and now there's weakness everywhere
Including my face, neck, arms, hands, legs, feet, back. I can still move everything and it started with my right hand but I still use it. I don't understand if this is just hyper aggressive ALS, or something else. Everything in my body feels heavy and weak and tired. The scariest part is the facial weakness, my face trembles when ever scrunching up u cheeks to my eyes. For atrophy My legs and arms have thinned out quite a bit but I've gained weight???? I've been off of work for the last two months almost because of this and I'll be getting my EMG done on this coming WEDNESDAY. The major question is would ALS present this fast in this many areas??? Nothing in my body is crippled yet, but everything is weak at the same time.

It's very unlikely. You'll know much more after the EMG, so hang tight.

Ok guys
normal emg
normal reflexes
normal strength
absent babinski and hoffmans
i dont got als
thank you all for listening

Thank you for reporting back. Have a long and healthy life!

I'm sorry to come back everyone but the symptoms keep lingering and they are coming on fast. My Left foot has gotten even weaker and it's getting close to the "Foot Drop" and my right foot is starting to Ben effected. My facial weakness especially around my cheeks and eye brows has gotten way worse and same with my breathing. I've lost tons of muscle mass everywhere in body but haven't lost any weight? I don't know what's going on but I'm quite terrified. My EMG in Right Arm, Right Leg, Left Leg all came back normal. How could In 2 months I go from completely normal to weakness and issues everywhere in body. I still don't have any indication of UMN damage with Reflexes and all that. Would it be normal for ALS to spread this quickly? From what I can read it takes much longer then this to spread limb to limb, especially in someone as young as me (19) I don't understand what's going on but I'm terrified.

Also if my Symptoms started in right arm and that one is clear is that a pretty good indicator that I'm clear? It was just my right hand/arm for about a month

i dont got als

You've been cleared and at your age it would have been EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY unlikely to be ALS. If you don't understand what's going on, follow up with your doctor and ask them.

Lennox, as you wrote,

"I've lost tons of muscle mass everywhere in body but haven't lost any weight?"

Muscle weighs more than fat cells. A common indicator of of ALS, PLS and some other MNDis is weight loss. To be clear... a pound of muscle and a pound of fat is the same.
A pound is a pound. It's complicated... a matter of displacement.

Re-read my reply above. Distract yourself with other interests (hobby, education, sports) other than yourself and stop reading Med web sites. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back