Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Barrie
Hello all,

Something I wanted to share that was developed by a charity in Canada:

'Give a LIFT for ALS' was recently selected as the winner of a global creative competition trying to come up with original ideas that could build on the extraordinary success of the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Canadian site alslift.org
U.S.A. site us.alslift.org

'Give a LIFT for ALS'! Let's fight this debilitating disease with a simple physical expression. Take a picture of someone "lifting" something or someone and share it on social media with #ALSLIFT & alslift.org.

What do people think? Opinions valued.

I think anything that brings awareness to ALS helps. Sadly, most of the people who participated in the ice bucket challenge didn't really understand ALS or even that it has no cure or effective treatment to extend lives.

We're making great strides through movies like "Gleason" and the documentary about ALS on VICE (HBO). ALS is being mentioned more and more on television, including talk shows like Ellen.

If I were making the decision, I would do another social media blitz for "Ice Bucket 2017" with some famous people kicking it off.

Here are the links to click:
<mod note: Fundraising links are not allowed>

Do people think this will catch on? You're right about what you said Kim, getting famous people involved would be great ��

I agree with Kim...I would vote for round two of the Ice Bucket Challenge. I remember my daughter participating. I had a friend post on facebook that some people shouldn't be doing it if they weren't also sending a check. I disagreed, ANY publicity is welcome even if they are doing it because it looks cool or whatever. Any attention for our disease is good. I posted that reply on facebook only to find out later that I had it. I often wonder if that friend remembers that little exchange we had on facebook whenever he visits...

CarolSue

This is a fundraiser for one specific research project at the university of Toronto. It does not fund support for people living with ALS. I just worry that this will take away from the Walk for ALS that does fund support for people with ALS and funds peer reviewed research projects.

It's true what you said Vincent, although my sense is that if the idea is good enough, the ALS Society could post a link on their website with any donations going to them... Either way if it ever caught fire it would create enough awareness and money for the disease itself... In the big picture, it was a good idea that changed the face of als forever... Is the idea good enough to be Ice Bucket 2017? And for the sake of transparency, I'm not involved in the clinical trials at the U of Toronto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back